Skip to main content

Hi guys

Looking some advice, been doing some events which I smoke over night in my FEC120 then wrap well in the morning and place in cool boxes. Once at location I place them in bain maires one at a time as required, which has worked well keeping it hot and safe.

Now I have got a series of daily events where I need to serve for dinner (5-10pm) so I don't think smoking over night and trying to keep the meat at a safe temperature till 5 onwards would be any good?

But if I put the meat in for the 12-15 hour cook means I would have to go to the kitchen at silly times in the morning. Looking for suggestions as the best way to achieve the best q.

Will be serving from a tent.

Cheers

Stu from the UK
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've put briskets in at about 10-11pm at 180, then cranked it up to 250 in the morning when I wake up, around 7ish. Usually done around 3pm, then into a cooler til serving time.

You could also try the hot & fast method. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard of people getting them done in 6-9 hours. And the FEC is capable of hitting those temps.

Let us know what you try & the outcome.
With pulled pork butt, I have had great luck (and absolutely no complaints) putting it in foil pans in the refrigerator for a day or two, and then adding some moisture (cider, juice from the pulling, dilute chicken broth, or even a little water, but don't let it get soupy) and then reheating slowly covered in an oven. The key is to not let it dry out. If the original spice bark and smoke depth are good, everyone loves it. Probably not top restaurant quality, but hey, it's a big crowd of relatives.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.