Skip to main content

Searching for ideas to increase the humidity level inside the FEC-100.

From personal observation it seems every time at a competition or at home when its raining or the humidity levels are very high the smoke flavor imparted to the meat seems to be much greater vs. when the humidity is low. Have tried using a 1/2 size hotel pan setting on the drip pan filled with water, but this method does no increase the humidity level enough.

Looking for ideas to either purchase something that could be adapted or to build a DIY mister/fogger system. The system would require: misting nozzle(s), tubing, solenoid value, pump, water tank, timer.
This is more of an experiment at this point.

Please share your ideas.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've seen some good cooks put a metal paint roller pain (angled bottom) on the drip tray with water or juice in it...

It's an interesting observation, you may be able to get the same effect by just spritzing your meat. Personally, I've never spritzed or put a water pan in my FEC... Except one time when I cooked in the desert... but that didn't turn out to well anyway!

Nordy
In my experience having dry meat going into the smoker increases the amount of smoke flavor. If you are using a marinade or injecting, use a paper towel to pat down your meat before it goes in the smoker and don't mist on the front half of your smoke.

Try letting your meat sit uncovered in the refrigerator overnight to develop a pellicle. Smoke seems to "adhere" much better to dry, sticky meat.

Start misting towards the back half of your smoke if you must. I have no humidity issues in my FEC-100.
When smoking butt or briskets I usually place a full size 2" hotel pan on the lower shelf, half way filled with water. The primary reason is the au jus I create with the liquid. I can't say the smoke flavor is significantly higher but I'm satisfied with the smoke profile provided by the FEC during a long cook, using CS Mesquite or 100% Hickory pellets.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.