Skip to main content

Loaded a case of butts and started my 2005 model. 30 min later, the temp was below 100. I pulled the access panel and the auger fan was spinning just fine. I moved the butts over to the other cooker and started to look at the problem. When I pulled the auger bracket off I noticed it bent some on the right side. Also, the pin was totally sheared off. The replacement pin from Cookshack is a solid pin with clips. I measured the hole in the shaft and put an 1/8th inch (.130) dia split roll pin for now. My concern is how to speed up the repair process in the event I ever have to do this at a Comp. Does anyone else have ideas as to a quicker way to change one? If you guys do I'll give it a try when I install the correct pin later.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
Just don't have a STROKE when you order it! $28.75 + S&H for a half inch piece of soft metal (maybe it's gold?).

Yikes! Looked at the picture of what it is. It's just a drilled headless clevis pin. Check to see if there's a Grainger in your area, or a local hardware store might have them as well. You can probably pick one up locally for under 5 bucks.
Good idea, Its pretty easy. I had my FEC 750 augers stop when it was 2 deg outside. It was too cold to trouble shoot it so I switched cookers. Later I found the Flat head/5/16 hex bolts had backed out. This caused the auger to turn and disconnect the power lead to the auger. That stops all 3 augers on them. When I do my Video, I'll mention that as a thing to check occasionally. Anyway, it can be done fast if you empty your hopper. I had just filled mine the other day to the top. The main thing is to have spare parts. That is why I ordered 100 of them.... Smiler
Update....This pin shear problem was on my older model. A 2005 without an IQ 4 controller. The pin change process is the same on all of them though. The hole in the auger shaft had some signs of wear, but the auger itself had a lot of wear. The holes were egg shaped. What I did was, to make a new pin out of 3/16 solid soft metal. With cotter pins and washers on either side. It lets the auger float as before so it doesn't bind up. I am going to order a spare auger motor to have since now I have a total of 7 that could fail. Good to have spare parts in my book. By the way, the guy I bought it from told me he had never had a pin shear. I guess it was due.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.