Skip to main content

First off congrats to FEC100 owner Don Truckenbrod of Pork Patrol BBQ on his calls in the holla at The Jack.

I am really anal when it comes to cleanliness and my FEC100. My grates are really hard to clean as they have aged. I need to know what it takes to bring them back to new. I have used Simple Green with a power washer but they just are not coming clean. I have the original nickel ones and smoke a lot of cheese but do not want the "meat residue" or the smoke/rust that is building up on them to "stain" the cheese. People think the cheese us bad or dirty.

Any suggestions?
Thanks Troy YoungBlood
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks all.
I do have the concrete tub and I do spray Simple Green on everything. Then I head off to the local car wash and spray them down. The only thing I have a problem with is the nickle plated grates are getting pretty rusty (probably from cleaning them too much)

Vernon, I did order a set of the stainless but right now only use them for cheese.

One thing that you all have said in common might be to clean then good with Greased Lightening and a steel wool pad then start using frog mats and cooking spray.

Thanks For your help.
You may find this interesting. I have been brewing beer for many years. To clean off the difficult brewing residue I use a food safe cleaner called PBW. Powdered Brewery Wash. It is very safe for Stainless and after a soak in warm water your grates will look like brand new. It may be a little pricey but you can get it online or at any brewing store.
Well I am still trying to save up enough to buy one of them fancy pits like yall got..but for regular old bbq pit grates my favorite strategy is to leave them crudded up..cheap rust proofing..then when it comes time to cook again..hit them in place with a propane flame throw. 20 bucks or so at Harbor Freight. Burn all the crud off then give a wire brushing..then a squirt down with generic PAM and start cooking yet again. Cant see how many germs can make it through that flame.
quote:
Originally posted by bigwheel:
Well I am still trying to save up enough to buy one of them fancy pits like yall got..but for regular old bbq pit grates my favorite strategy is to leave them crudded up..cheap rust proofing..then when it comes time to cook again..hit them in place with a propane flame throw. 20 bucks or so at Harbor Freight. Burn all the crud off then give a wire brushing..then a squirt down with generic PAM and start cooking yet again. Cant see how many germs can make it through that flame.

Thanks BW, but these are a different kind of metal than your offsets. Can't/shouldn't use a wire brush.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.