Skip to main content

Yesterday while cleaning my FEC I got to wondering what sort of maintenance I should be doing to it.

As I further thought about the issue and while searching through the form I now think it would be good if we created a thread like "New Owner? Have Questions? Start Here" up in the Cookshack Smoker Owners forum.

It could include issues with embedded before and after pictures such as:
Seasoning
Foiling
Ash removal
Cleaning
Maintenance
Reseting
Fire lighting with a dead ignitor
Venting
Getting additional smoke

I think explanations and pictures would be best located in in the thread rather than links so that the information would be more permanent.

What say all??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds good, we might want to change the title to match that one, but for FE's.

Some basic rules.

Post LINKS to other discussions that are helpful. That's where we started. There are some great FE threads, so just post a link to them with a brief discussion.

Post tips and tricks

Do NOT bring up new subjects for discussion (those will be moderated to their own thread).

For reference to what MM is talking about, check out:

CS "start here" thread
Last edited by Former Member
I would like to see a list of spare parts for the FEC-100 that the comp. guys take into battle so that I could have the same in my garage here at home.

I don't do comps but come Memorial day weekend or the 4th of July we have big bashes here that puts us backyard warriors under the same pressure as the big boys.

I gotta say the manual for the FEC-100 is sorely lacking, oil? Oil what? Shear pins? Where? Fuses?!

Cal kindly told me how to pull out the firepot and vacuum not long ago and that isn't even mentioned anywhere.

What else don't we know?
It's been a while but I still think this might be a worthwhile project.

Here are a few possibilities.

Most importantly, you can “find” answers to almost ANY question as there has been a LOT of discussion here over the years.
To “Search” this forum you simply press the “find” button at the top of the page and enter your search objective.

To make clean up easier and trouble free.
Place foil on the following areas:
The roof of the burn area
The drip deflector
The grease collector and drain
The Bottom of the floor
BE SURE TO POKE A HOLE IN THE FOIL FOR DRAINAGE !
A foil pan can be placed in the grease pan under the FEC

Clean fire pot after each use.
Prevents flame outs and starts quicker.

Start smoker ½ hr to 1 hr before use.
Allows smoker to reach temperature setting and stabilize.

Resetting the controller.

Dual smoke for a heaver smoke profile.
Set “cooking temperature” to 180 degrees and set “cook time” for desired pre-smoke time for the product.
Set “hold temperature” for the desired cooking temperature for the product.

Cleaning the temp sensor.
Use vinegar on a heavy duty green scotch pad.
Helps maintain temperature stability.
When loading the smoker, be sure the product is NOT touching the temperature probe.

Lighting the FEC without an igniter.
Mix a cup of pellets with some sterno or hand sanitizer gel
Place the pellets in the firepot
Light pellets
Turn on Smoker

Spare parts discussion
Last edited by mountainman
Mountainman,you suggested a great topic.

As what comp cooks might carry,because we are 500-600 miles from home,we do it like" folks that carry an umbrella-so it won't rain" Big Grin

Our spare parts woefully are scattered around in toolboxes,vehicles,trailer,etc where we probably never could find them.

Luckily, in the 3-4 series of FECs we have been hauling for the last decade we have never needed any of the spare parts.Knock on wood!! Eeker

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.