Skip to main content

I've read the discussions, searched the archives and found that most folks have found their 90 degree vent setups at a Home Depot etc. I've searched seemingly everywhere here locally and have not been able to find a 5 inch 90. I find 4 inch, and 6 inch, and every other even increment pipe you can imagine, but people look at me like I've grown a 3rd eye when I ask for 5" pipe. Anyone have a quick source for the items needed to make a vent and stack for the FEC100? Any help would be appreciated a TON. Thanks.

Troy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I found something at Home Depot that will fit perfectly inside the 5" diameter vent without modification. I bought this primarily to block the wind but think that it also hinders the heat from a straight exhaust plus the smoke will not exhaust as quickly. It is well made out of aluminum and costs around $11.00. Works well for me. I tried copying pics within this email but it seems this is not possible so I will send two more individually.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 5_Inch_Vent_-_1
I got an elbow that looks like the one Fast Freddie has in the picture. (from Home Depot)

I wanted it to go over the outside, so, I took tin snips and cut the crimped end that was supposed to go inside, at about one inch spaces around it, to make a skirting that fits over the outside.

I bought a steel pipe clamp (metal band with screw type) from Home Depot too, and fit that around it to make it really tight in case of wind (which I have much).

I put a vent top on the other end of the elbow.

Have not used it this way yet, but will.

Also, I put a piece of heavy guage but small holed screen in the pipe to keep birds and wasps out.

KK
EZ,
You ask:
quote:
How do you bend these things without screwing them up.

Each segment on the elbow moves independently.

So, here is what you do:

Grab one and grasp a segment on it and turn it. Get it pointed where you want it, then grab the next segment and turn it, etc. etc.

What I did when I got the elbow angle right, is that I took a permanent marker and made a black mark down all the segments to make a line to re-adust everything to quickly.

I hope this works for you. Let me know.

KK
I bought mime at Lowes, but Home Depot also carries all the parts you will need. I just cut two 5 inch holes in the top of my trailer to install the pipe on one side and a computer fan exhaust on the other side. That way when I open the door, any smoke that comes out can be vented right away. John
quote:
Originally posted by MNbbqkid:
So is the elbow needed along with the vent cap or is it that you need the elbow, extension, and then the vent cap?

You don't have to use any of them. If you do, go with the parts you need based on your situation, but I'm not sold on adding the long pieces of vent, I think it changes the dynamics of the cooker (not good, not bad, but I haven't tested it enough to convince me it's not bad). I have a vent cap because all I do is on the windy days, block the wind from entering the side.
You can also purchase some plier looking tools to crimp the end more. Home Depot has them too. There are two kinds, a cheaper one that has two teeth and one that has about 4 teeth. Buy the bigger one. Thai's the one I got because I have a lot of issues going through the roof and need to do a lot of adjusting. John
I am sorry, I went out and looked and the straight end is on the cooker. I told you wrong in my previous post. Yes it is tight. One idea is to straighten the fitting straight out and while pushing it on to your cooker pipe stick your hand inside and push out on the fitting. Once it gets started take a block of wood and a rubber mallet and gently tap the fitting. Hope this helps.
I had an elbow with a 2' vertical pipe on my FEC 100.
After a few cooks, it was leaking grease out of the elbow onto the floor/ground.
It seems that the smoke cooled in the pipe, allowing the grease to condense and line the inside of the pipe. Drained down, naturally.

Now I just use the elbow turned down to keep the wind and rain out.
Works wonderful.

Just something to watch for if you put a vertical pipe on there.

TIM
quote:
Originally posted by jjhacker:
GOT A NEW ELBOW THIS PM. It fits in about a 1/4 inch.and then does not seem to play much. Any suggestions to get a tighter fit. Is there some type of lube one could use .

My elbow installation was similar. I wrapped a piece of 5" tin around the FEC exhaust and the elbow and fastened both sides with one of those collar ties you tighten with a screwdriver.
quote:
FEC100 is a 4" diameter. Would there be a problem in reducing the 5" outlet side to 4" for an elbow?

quote:
i

A few people have mentioned getting a 5" end cap and not having it fit. After making this mistake on another appliance myself, I did a little research and realized that diameter listed on a pipe is always the interior diameter. The "B vent" pipe is very common (used for gas appliances) and it has a 5" inner liner and a wider outer sleeve. The end cap is designed to fit over the outside sleeve so the 5" end cap is actually bigger than 5".

Single walled 5" stove pipes will fit, although Cookshack recommends L vent pipes for the FEC100. L vent pipes have a stainless steel liner and are used for pellet stoves. Makes sense yes? Only trouble is that most pellet stoves use 3" or 4" pipes.

I did find one company (Metal Fab) that makes 5" L vent pipes. I was able to buy they online here: http://www.ventingpipe.com/5-inch-pellet-vent/c15491

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.