Skip to main content

I have been doing an overnight brisket cook. I am doing a 2 stage cook,180 for 7 hours the using the hold setting at 250 till done. I checked the brisket this earlier this morning and the FEC was rocking along. At this point the FEC was At 250 in the hold mode. A hour later I went to check internal temp of brisket and fire was out and hopper full of pellets. There is no wind. And my exhaust is factory. Keep in mind I vacuum the hopper after every cook, so it was clean. I was able to clean it out after the fire went out and it restarted with no problems and is rocking along now.i think I need the upgrade to the SS pot.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you still have the cast iron pot call CS and get it replaced. The design flaw is the slant on the bottom that allows ashes to build up and snuff out the fire. Another thing to consider is purchasing a Maverick ET-733 remote pit/meat probe (AMAZENPRODUCTS has them @ $69.99 with 10% off & free shipping if you use DADSDAY2014 code)with HI/LO temp alarm. It's range is 300 feet. You will sleep better!
Last edited by joem
quote:
Originally posted by Randy E:
OK, this brings up a dumb question on my part. How long will the unit go on the hold temp. I have forgotten to set t6he cook time before and the unit went into hold temp and then shut off. I didn't set the hold temp, but it did go off.

So is there a limit to the hold time, and do you have to set a time for it???

RandyE

It will stay on the hold cycle for unlimited time, well I guess it will eventually run out of pellets.
quote:
Originally posted by Southern swine:
Called and talked to bill, he seems to think it's an airflow issue. He suggested getting an elbow for the exhaust. I also upgraded to the SS pot.

From my experience, the SS Pot will fix your problem. You can add an elbow but if it were necessary, CS would have included it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.