Skip to main content

I have through the years burned wood in anything and everything but I always come back to my tried and true FEC100. One reason why: I have become very popular in my neighborhood. Every Saturday night I have a list of people that are planning their Sunday meal around my brisket.
I pick up whole briskets from Sam's on Saturday. Before going to bed, I cut them open, carve away excessive fat, shake on Canadian steak rub and put them in the smoker. It's cold out so they are fine.
At 4AM I go out and hit start at 225 set for 12 hours. (default setting). Around noon I get home from church, wrap the briskets in foil and at 4PM the cooker goes to 140 hold and people start showing up to pick up their briskets. I send them home in a Sam's Club foil buffet pan and cover.
I never ask for any set amount but at the end of the day I usually double my money which part of that goes to donate dinner to one or two needy families in the area.My pellet of choice is the Cookin Pellet.Com Perfect mix or BBQers Delight. I'm working on a curcuit that will hit start so I won't have to get up.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I like the BBQers Delight Hickory. Sottie Johnson kinda hooked me on them when I supplied my cooker to him for a fly-by contests. I have bought them by the pallet in the past but now we have a local shop stocking them.
I have used Fast Eddie(Cookshack) pellets and they are good. I am burning through a pallet of "Pellets.Com" perfect mix [presently and like them.
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Jacobs:
quote:
but think they have just a tad bit too much moisture to them. They smoke well though,.

Interesting....never thought about that. Not even sure how to detect moisture short of turning them to saw dust.

I don't notice it much in the FEC, but the pellet grills drop a set amount at set intervals, so you really tell a difference in the heat output from that. Some will vary more in heat spikes than other brands, I just figure that is due to moisture content? Some seem to leave a "different" ash, sorta like burning green wood in a heat stove will leave a different kind of ash.

The good part is you can adjust the pellet drop rate in the grills, but I'm just getting to old and lazy for that...lol!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.