Skip to main content

Noticed yesterday morning when I arrived at the trailer that the Temp on my pit was 12 degrees higher than the 226 I had programmed to smoke at. At one point in the day while smoking my onions in a pan, I noticed that the door was hotter than normal and the pit was smoking way more than normal. When I loaded the pit last night I noticed the convection fan was off and not turning on. I then noticed that I smelled somthing resembeling an electrical part burning. Needless to say, I am 99.9% sure that the convection motor burned up. I emptied the pit and shut down immediately. Thus we are not open today. Now, I clean my pit weekly and the pit is only 6 months old. Now, I have two Questions:
1) Can you use the FEC 120 without the convection fan(We shut down and did not take a chance)? I did not want to burn down my business , the park and set fire to South Austin.
2) How hard is it to replace the convection motor?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure about the 120 specifically, but on our 500 I swapped out the fan and motor. Pretty easy, as the fan has two allen set screws and a couple bolts and wires on the motor. Has to be easier for the 120, as on the 500 I had to climb into the smoker to remove the fan, then out to remove the motor, then back in to re attach the fan on the new motor shaft.

Really took less than 30 mins to get it all done.

I did realize, I do not like being inside a smoker. lol

On another note, you can run the smoker without the fan. The 100 does not have a fan and we did it with the 500. Just not as even across the chamber and that is where the skill in cooking comes in. I actually wired up an on/off witch on the fan moter, just in case we have to turn it off.

Most likely, the fan blade itself got a build up and was uneven and shook the motor. Fans are cheap, motors not so much. That is why I clean the fan often and have the switch.

Cook shack will take care of you.

David

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.