Skip to main content

What is the temperature at which the high temp switch trips? I had some friends coming to town last weekend and threw a meatloaf, some beans, and some cheesy hashbrowns in the FEC100 for what I thought would be a couple hours at 350°F. My buddy I cook with has an 3 year old FEC100 that we do this in all the time, and mine is less than a year old. It came to temp and was holding fine, and then after about an hour it was dead. I had the side panel off before I realized that the newer ones like mine now have the high temp reset on the outside. Thank you Cookshack! It tripped a couple more time in the next couple hours so I had to babysit it pretty close. Not something I'm used to doing with a FEC. Just curious if anyone else cooks in the 325°-350° range and had a similar problem. I've done a lot of chickens in it the last 8-9 months for my wife and I've always done them at the higher temp with no problem. This cook started with a clean smoker and everything in it was pans so there was no chance of grease fire.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sometimes the grates can be close enough to the temp probe that they heat up and then overheat when it's running real hot.

Make sure the area near the temp probe is clear and the probe is clean.

also I've found that ramping up to a higher temp in steps is better than just setting it on 400 and let 'er rip.
I think 420 is the number but Tony/Bill @ CS could tell you exactly if it matters. As Smokin says, check your probe/grate position. I'd clean the unit & probe then run up the temp and see what happens. If it goes out, call CS. Best to figure it out Monday thru Friday when you can speak with them. It's frustrating when things go wrong. If needed, you can't find better customer support!
Good luck & let us know.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.