Skip to main content

Trying to use my FEC100 to smoke pork butts here today while having a wind & rain storm causing several very brief power outages of just a minute or so. Each time power has been interupted, I find the display reading the "Set Temp & Time, and "Push Start" messages, same as it does when I first turn it on. The smoker will not resume cooking without resetting time, temp and pushing Start again. I even had to manually relight w/ propane torch once as fire pot was half full of pellets and no sign of any fire there even though fan was on the higher start-up/heat-up cycle.
Is that the correct way to get it going again or something else??
It's Saturday here, so can't call Cookshack today to discuss, but will do so next week.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have not tried it, but your question brought to mind a battery backup/surge protection system like you might use on a comupter.

I had one at work till it went out. Had several time the power would blink, or go ut for a few seconds then come back on, and the computer system didn't even seem to blink. This might work on an FEC.

I have had power blinks at event and comps, and reloading the info has been the only thing I kniew to do.

RandyE
Tom & Randy, thanks for your comments. I talked with Tony at Cookshack today (Monday) and he offered the same suggestions as you two did. Tony said the FEC's do have a capacitor that will store present cook info for a very "short" time before needing to restart unit. Also per Tony, if interior temp of unit is above 130*, ignitor will not be turned-on when 'start' button is pushed again, unless you "fool" the unit into thinking it is below that temp .... so another method of relighting fire-pot is needed if the fire has gone out.

If I don't want to invest in battery + inverter + charger, or computer battery back-up, then best advice is probably just to pay better attention to weather forecasts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.