Skip to main content

Hey folks,

I could have sworn I've seen a show or two where folks literally slide in a steam type pan into their FEC-100 where a typical grate would go.

However, I can't seem to find any steam pans that are 23x17 which is the dimensions of the grates.

Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps I am just mistaken?

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Tom,

Sorry for the delay responding.

No is the simple answer, but I had thought if the airflow was preserved enough via the front and back it would make for some easy clean-up and adding/removing of food.

The way I use my FEC-100 today is that the grates generally stay in it all the time.

I may start taking them out and preparing food on them and sliding the whole grate back in with the food already arrange.
My opinion (worth what you paid for it) is that ANY pan will cut down on the quality of the product. (Smoke, bark, etc). I sometimes will smoke a steak or chicken in a small pan with a grate in the bottom to allow complete smoke surround but have always felt it would be better to not use the pan. Just aids in the cleanup.
Jason,many of us will only leave the rack[ maybe cooking a couple butts]in and foil the floor and the slanted shelf.

For comps,we may leave an FE rack in where we want to cook.The half pan sized cooling racks with smaller squares,we may put chicken,etc on it in the cook trailer and carry it back and forth to the FEs.Depending,we may leave the cooling rack in the half pan,or put the cooling rack direct on the FE rack.

Maybe this helps a little?
JasonJax,
FEC racks will fit nicely into a "full sheet pan" so you can prepare/arrange the food on the rack, carry it outside to your FEC, and then transfer the rack into your smoker. I do that all the time. A full size sheet pan will not fit into your smoker - it's just a carry back & forth pan.

Sheet pans are mainly used for baking and are available anywhere commercial/restaurant cookware is sold. They come in 3 sizes, full size, 3/4 size, and half size. Usually made of aluminum, around 16 gauge with rolled edge, and retail in the $16-$20 range. They are similar in shape to jelly-roll pans with about 3/4" - 1" lips. AbleKitchen.com is one online source.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.