Skip to main content

Last night I loaded the 100 at 10 pm with a beautiful Creekstone Prime brisket. Set the cook temp for 180, set the cook time for 7 hrs., set the hold for 240. After 10 minutes I see smoke, head upstairs to bed.

This morning I went to temp the brisket and find a firepot full of pellets and a raw brisket sitting on the shelf. Internal was 74o. So much for the 4th of July party brisket.

Needless to say, I'm P.O'd. Any clues as to what have caused the fire to smother?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had a similar problem in my 120 that probably arose from operator negligence, in that I failed to ensure the ash pot was clean before a cook. It worked well until the element was submerged in ash and unburned pellets. That was on a PB cook for a graduation party. Lesson learned here.....
Now that is a bad feeling. Eeker
I'd guess you can probably tell from handling the packer about how long it cooked.
Calling CS service is about all I can suggest.

As to" reading about similar events",I always subscribe to the thought that folks post about a problem with their new car,stove,gun,etc. and few comment every day about how "things work as expected".

My team mate ,Ribdog, is always good about setting a Maverick..."just for that one chance in a 1,000".

I'm bad about not doing it. Roll Eyes

At FL comps there are so many FEC s of all models that it looks like "an FEC tradeshow".

I,personally,only know of a couple incidents.One was a cook kicked his extension cord loose and the other was they were relying on faulty power on the fairgrounds and it failed.

About a decade and a half ago,Fast Eddy taught me the method that many of us use and "knock on wood"it has never failed me.I use the same method at home,to keep my timing down.

About 8PM I start the cooker,while I'm doing the final prep on my "big meats".After it is running like I like,I put the meats on about 8:30.

I clean up for the night,make sure the cooker is running at temp on my two stage cooking and at 9PM we go to the motel.

We come back to the cook site when it is time to start getting the ribs ready to go on and check what they are serving for breakfast. Big Grin

I know this doesn't help you,Max,just passing on my anecdote.
I'm kicking myself for not using the Maverick dual probe, sitting next to the FEC. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Pre-heating the smoker for an hour is also on the to-do list.

I had a foil pan with some water sitting on the shelf that sits just below the thermo-probe. The foil pan was resting on top of the probe housing. Dunno if or how that could cause the fire snuff. I'll check-in with Bill Vice on Monday.

I've got some St Louie's smoking now and will do some spatchcock yardbirds a bit later. It will fill the food void but I sure was looking forward to that Creekstone Prime. Oh well Roll Eyes
Sorry about the phew pah Max. I'd be upset also. That was a damn nice brisket you had planned for your guests.

But knowing the good chef you are, you'll make the event a success.

Let's see...8:30 here, 12:30 by you. You've probably already come up with something. But if you haven't...Santa Maria Tri Tip takes less than 2 or so hrs. Not brisket, but a fast substitute.
The igniter is fine. Like I said, I did see smoke and a fire in the pot. Later I cooked ribs and chickens.

The only thing I'm coming up with is weather related...we've been experiencing unusually high humidity and heat going on two weeks. Perhaps the pellets had enough moisture to overcome the low start-up temp. Then again, the pellets I was using (BBQ Delight) were fresh out of the bags a couple days ago and ignited without issue two days ago and later yesterday.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
.......About a decade and a half ago,Fast Eddy taught me the method that many of us use and "knock on wood"it has never failed me.I use the same method at home,to keep my timing down.

About 8PM I start the cooker,while I'm doing the final prep on my "big meats".After it is running like I like,I put the meats on about 8:30.

I clean up for the night,make sure the cooker is running at temp on my two stage cooking and at 9PM we go to the motel.

We come back to the cook site when it is time to start getting the ribs ready to go on and check what they are serving for breakfast......

I need to learn this method!
I would agree with Joe M. It is a timing thing. Have not had it happen to me personally but have heard of it fairly frequently. If you don't use a temperature probe you HAVE to be there and awake when the temperature change takes place. It will dump pellets to increase the temperature and can smother what little fire may be in the fire pot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.