Skip to main content

I am interested in what the differences are between the controllers. I am considering upgrading as my primary concern was the buttons not working in cold weather.

They want a kings ransom for the upgrade so I am trying to find out what all comes with it and what it does.

Has anyone done this? How was the install and are you happy with your purchase?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would guess there are very few people who have upgraded an existing IQ4 to an IQ5. It's not as simple as a board swap from what I understand, and it's expensive. If they still have them in stock you can get an IQ4 board which works normally in cold weather. Contact Bill at CS and he can let you know if those are available.

The IQ5 is a different type of program for temperature control. It's more of a true Pid control. My experience has been less overshoot but slower coming up or returning to temp. Smoke production etc and cook quality is similar. The programmable buttons are a nice touch and are nice when you do many similar cooks ie restaurant use or competition cooks. Its nice to get to a comp and at the appointed time press 1 and the program runs. By program I mean the IQ5 can have 3 different set temperatures... so for example I could set it to run 2 horus at 180 then 4 hours at 250 and 5 hours at 275. Three stages... This compares to the IQ4 which had only two stages and no memory for programs.

IQ5 is also upgradable via flash drive which is nice if there ever is a change that is needed to be made.

IQ5 can also data log pit and meat temps to the USB drive as well.

Hope this helps
Nordy
quote:
Originally posted by vesteroid:
I am interested in what the differences are between the controllers. I am considering upgrading as my primary concern was the buttons not working in cold weather.

15-20 seconds with a hair dryer will fix that. I've only needed to do it twice when the outside temps were sub-zero.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.