Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The FEC 100 FE67 program controls the igniter by temperature, not time. It stays on until the temp is 130. If you have the fire go out and the temp is above 130, restarting will not turn the igniter back on. You either need to manually start the fire or hold a cold rag on the temp probe to trick it. Older programs would turn the igniter on if the temp dropped below 140. I don't know if any programs were strictly time based. To see which program you have, the number comes up when you first turn the unit on.
I suggest you buy a small propane torch at the home improvement store. Only costs a few dollars. You will have a safer way of relighting the unit if it is still hot. Alcohol works great, but I always hesitate at putting flammable liquids on top of ashes. Just drop a handful of pellets in the firepot and a few seconds with the torch.

You can manage to snuff the fire after a power failure - or if some bonehead plays with the buttons. Don't ask me how I know.
quote:
Originally posted by Know Bull:
I suggest you buy a small propane torch at the home improvement store. Only costs a few dollars. You will have a safer way of relighting the unit if it is still hot. Alcohol works great, but I always hesitate at putting flammable liquids on top of ashes. Just drop a handful of pellets in the firepot and a few seconds with the torch.

You can manage to snuff the fire after a power failure - or if some bonehead plays with the buttons. Don't ask me how I know.

I've used a torch for such instances but lit the pellets in a can so I didn't blow ashes all over the meat. One time the cook was far enough along that I wrapped & finished in the oven.
Always good to have a remote probe!
quote:
... liquids on top of ashes...

Ashes? Shoot I bought a mini shop vac just to keep the fire pots empty.

One of my ignitors was causing a ground fault problem (because it was going out) so I never replaced it and I start with a handful of pellets and a blow torch.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
... liquids on top of ashes...

Ashes? Shoot I bought a mini shop vac just to keep the fire pots empty.

One of my ignitors was causing a ground fault problem (because it was going out) so I never replaced it and I start with a handful of pellets and a blow torch.

I always start with a clean fire pot. I was referring to a flame out mid cook. I always vacuum out my FEPG fire pot as well even though it's recommended to only do it every 20 hours. Not sure why you'd treat the FEPG different than the FEC? Confused

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.