Skip to main content

So I'm trying a new chicken recipe, fired up the FEC, set to 375. At about 275 I put the chicken in. Came out about 25 minutes later and the FEC is dead as a door nail. Main power switch does nothing, thought maybe the GFI tripped, didn't, tried different non-GFI outlet, still dead. Took the control panel off looking for the fuse, pressed a switch on the hopper and it came to life.

No ideas what that switch was, a push button switch. Went out about 15 minutes later, and it was dead again. Reset again and came back to life. Inside temp was at 360 the second time. Any ideas whats happening? Chicken back on track, will post results soon.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Bill Vice explained that for high temp cooks, it's best to start with an initial temp of 290-300. Once achieved it's safe to kick it up to 350 +

There's a hi-lo reset button behind the control panel. Remove the 4 screws on top and the panel will fall back...not to worry, it's teathered. Press the green button and you're back in business.
Well, it did it a third time and now it won't reset. I think that's the button I was pressing to reset it. But this time it's dead, also a slight smell of burning wires is coming from the opening behind the control panel. Fortunately the Thermapen says the chicken is done. Guess I'll be calling tech support in the morning.
Sounds like your high temp limit switch is working. Wink
The max temp for the FEC 100 is 400F. The switch shuts the unit down @ 420F. This is usually due to a grease fire but can happen if you start @ high temp or open the door & pellets dump to catch up the temp. Also, food/dripping grease proximity to the temp probe can be a problem. Can you tell if you had a fire? Usually it's from grease on the drip tray or the bottom from chicken @ high temps.
My solution to this problem was to buy the FEPG 1000! Alternatively, smoke/cook around 225-250 & kick up to 375 for the last 15 minutes (watching it like a hawk!).
Let us know what CS says.
Talked with Bill, he thinks i might have been some grease from the chicken splashing up off of the heat shield onto the heat sensor. Said he's seen that happen a few times. And I did have one of the thighs right up above it on that side.

Hit the reset button again today and it fired up. Have it running empty right now to see what it'll do. Had it chugging along at 390 without any problems for a while, then lowered it down to 376 and all seems fine.
Last edited by andyj

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.