Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I talked with Eddy about it and if wood chunks was best. He told me that with his testing he preferred pellets because of the length of smoke output. He also said that pellets would expand some when heated, so make sure you leave a little space, otherwise it would lift the lid and this resulted in more air, less smoke output.
I have had the log burner attachment installed on my 100 for a few months now and I have used it a few times. I've found that while it obviously adds more smoke to the cook, the lack of air flow inside the cooker often meant the chunks/logs would often go out and I would have to check on them constantly to make sure they were still smoldering.

I have the new enhancer on the way so hopefully it will remedy the airflow issue while adding more smoke to the cook.

Ill keep everyone updated.
Tried the Smoke Enhancer at a KCBS contest over the weekend. While it didn't have a dramatic effect, I think it did work somewhat. I tried it with both cherry chips and hickory pellets.
Interestingly, at 250, neither fuel burned to ash. They turned to charcoal... in other words, smoked for a while, then turned black. I just dumped them at that point and re-filled the box.
More testing necessary.
Rob, does the lid on your enhancer sit flat on its base? Mine seems to be off; the weld is off a little at the hinge so the lid is open all the time with about a 1/4 gap. I am assuming this isn't intended and I just got unlucky. Anyhow, I got the fec on now so I am testing it as we speak. For now Ive laid a weight on the enhancer to keep the lid closed.
Well, sad news. I just did 6 chicken halves at 325 for 1 1/4 hrs with a full pot of hickory pellets in the enhancer, and not only did it not add any effect whatsoever, I think it may actually hindered the smoke. I have a very fine palette and I didn't even notice a hint of smoke whatsoever. Tasted like roasted chicken. I smoke chicken regularly on the 100 and this has never happened.

Rob: I noticed the same thing as you. After 30 minutes the pellets were charcoal, and they remained that way. They no longer produced smoke after 30 or so minutes. So refilling would be necessary.

Overall, I am very disappointed with the enhancer. First off because of the poor construction, and second, the result. The beef rib video states quote 'for even more added smoke flavor, fill it back up again after about 3 1/2 hours'. To me this implies that the pellets would smolder for a lot longer than 30 minutes...

Disappointed in Cookshack. Waste of nearly $120 Canadian.
Gersidi,

I see you've only posted 3 times, all in this thread, so let me help you out.

CALL Cookshack and let them know. They do not monitor this forum (I don't work for them) and certainly with a new product they certainly want your opinion.

FWIW, more pellets doesn't mean more smoke. It has more to do with how they burn. After seeing the smoke, realize there is still more smoke but it's more clear/blue. The smoke you see isn't the best for smoking. The smoking purist will actually say you want the clear/blue smoke, not the white stuff.

But....

the key is just what you said, it's your taste buds.

Give them a call, let them know and if you're dissatisfied, I'd say ask for a refund. They want you happy, but I think they'd also like it to work for you.
Thanks for the response Okie. I only recently registered to respond to queries in this thread. I've had my FEC-100 for several years and have been smoking for over ten. When I say there is no more smoke output, I mean I physically took the enhancer from the smoker, the pellets were black, and there was no more smoke. The pellets were completely spent. If I were to put it over a direct flame and watch it, there would be no smoke. As for my taste buds, I enjoy the light smoke profile the FEC-100 provides. In the dozens of chicken smokes I've done on the fec over the years, the smoke flavor was always there. That was not the case today and it struck me as quite odd.

I think ultimately what the problem may be and what bothers me most is the fact that I probably received a bad unit. I'll take a picture of it and post it when I get home. Looking a few posts up there is a quote that says:

"He also said that pellets would expand some when heated, so make sure you leave a little space, otherwise it would lift the lid and this resulted in more air, less smoke output."

Well my lid is permanently lifted and can't be closed. This flaw made it past two quality controls in place, production, and shipping. Cookshack is top quality and has paramount CS, so I am very surprised that this happened. As a result, my experience with this enhancer has been very, very poor.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.