Skip to main content

I finally pulled the trigger... after many reads of these forums. I've read posts on here re: seasoning the FEC-100 and how the manual says something about 300 deg. I don't see anything like that in my manual. I did notice a few pellets in the bottom of the hopper -- any chance CS already seasoned it?

Can't wait to get started. Thinking pork butt... but maybe my wife would prefer ribs for Mother's Day??? Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I let mine run for about four hours at around 250 - 275 or so just to burn off all the finish and get any 'machine' smell out of the cooker. The throw in a pork butt and cook it. Like Andy said, you're gonna love it.

Remember, Cooking with the FEC 100 is both a science and art. It's an amazing machine, but you've got to learn it's ways. It will treat you well.

I can't believe the thousands of pounds of meat I've prepared in mine in just under five years. You have a long, exciting journey in your future.
quote:
Originally posted by karmaman:
I finally pulled the trigger... after many reads of these forums. I've read posts on here re: seasoning the FEC-100 and how the manual says something about 300 deg. I don't see anything like that in my manual. I did notice a few pellets in the bottom of the hopper -- any chance CS already seasoned it?

Can't wait to get started. Thinking pork butt... but maybe my wife would prefer ribs for Mother's Day??? Smiler

They fire them up for a few minutes to make sure everything is working correctly, but I wouldn't call it "seasoned".

You need to get the walls black and that will take a few cooks.
Foil is purely for cleanup....

Here's what I do...

Foil the bottom of the FEC (poke holes for the grease drains) This foil collects ash/pellets that flies out of the fire pot and collects any stray grease (rare). There should really not be any grease that reaches the floor of the pit for normal use... if you load it really full to the front and back edges of the racks OR if the pit is not level, there is a chance significant grease could accumulate in the floor. Make sure the drain hole is open and your pit is reasonably level etc. A stray ember hitting grease on the bottom of the FEC can be ugly...

I do not foil the little piece of metal over the fire pot... why bother...

I foil the drip pan with two layers of foil. One layer tends to get a tear in it... two layers works well and if needed I can just peel one layer off and be good to go for the next cook (think contests that are "double headers" where you cook two contests in one weekend).

I have mixed feelings on foiling the grease tray... I did foil it for a while and now don't... I just scrape it out with a paint scraper and call it good.

I usually either 1) just put a foil full pan instead of the provided metal grease collection pan, OR I line the metal pan with a foil pan... for most cooks I won't generate enough grease for the foil pan to not be able to support it... but if doing a full load of butts or something... It's probably smart to have the metal pan in there for added support... Grease is a mess.

Regarding seasoning.... Foil the bottom. Easier to collect the ash that blows off. BUt again not really "necessary." I would season by running the pit for a while, but the BEST way IMHO to season it is to COOK. Spend $30-40 and throw a couple of butts in there... I think you get a better idea of how the pit runs... and you get to eat the results!

Nordy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.