Skip to main content

I bought an FE 100 way back in the year 2000- to this day it has never failed me. I did have a little problem with the fan on start up last time- (i just gave it a little push and it started) Mind you this has the knob on it to set the temp and an on/off switch - thats it. The little fan issue got me to thinking what am I going to do when things start wearing out on this machine. Does anyone out there have a model this dated that has had to replaced any parts. If yes how easy was it. Can it be "upgraded" with the sweet new digital stuff?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by bwurts:
.. Can it be "upgraded" with the sweet new digital stuff?

Yes, there is a "conversion" kit that basically puts the IQ4 controller in front of the old controller.

Call CS and they can give you the details and the cost. You can also ask them about replacement parts for the non-IQ version.
Yep.If you go to the Find,on page top,we have many discussions.Just in case we are on the road.We also discuss which local retailers carry the few parts,reasonably.Tony and Bill have even listed the few items,just in case you would want to carry a full kit.

The model you have does things that others may not.As CS had to make the safe to go into hi rise buildings,etc.You may get higher temps,faster heat recovery,etc.

Altho we carry the couple spare parts,on the models as old as yours,we have never had to resort to any.Enjoy

Yes, as the newer software,etc and parts comes on line,they send you a page diagram and sit on the phone to talk you thru the install.
I got my 2nd FEC 100 last year and it was an older model with a Treiger controller. It has become my "Rib Machine". It's produced 1st place ribs 3 out of 5 contest I've used it. It does perform differently than the IQ4 model. It produces more smoke and recovers faster after the door has been opened. There is more ash in the bottom after cooking, but none on the meat. I like it and am glad I have 2 different types. I do my big meats on the IQ4 model and the small ones on the older model. There are benefits to both, I'd spend some time to get used to it. It may be perfect for you. You'll eat good learning about it. Good Luck. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.