Skip to main content

Hi folks,
I am a new owner of a FEC 120 and I love it! I do know I have a lot to learn from practicing and have already learned a lot about getting the smoker to get to and hold temp, etc. Having said that, so far I have only cooked one or two meats at a time. I will be cooking a variety of meats in one load: Brisket, Pork, Ribs, turkey, chicken, etc... And though these meats cook best at different temps (and obviously have different cook times), is there a consistent temp or spot on the smoker that you place different cuts of meat to cook best? I realize this is a loaded question and many will probably say "you just gotta experiment" but any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and smoke on!!!!
Brent
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You can do everything at one temp, many people do, but like Andy said, poultry WILL drip some ugly stuff on anything below it (and it's not food safe).

I would get to where you know some good times for individual cuts and once you have that down then you can start mix and matching.

For me? Butts and briskets go well (200 to 250). Ribs I do at a higher temp (275) and poultry at an even higher temp (275 to 325).

Biggest thing you need to match your flavors (rub and smoke) with your preference. Like me, I like to do my briskets/butts on two stage (from 8 to 12 hours at 170) and finish at 250

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.