Skip to main content

I have had my fec100 for 3 years and have never used the drip tray. I have been to Cookshacks class as well as Pellet Envy and Johnny Triggs old school/new school class. My bbq is competition worthy...so they say. Still working on my master judge first...My question is ......does it really make a difference if you use the tray or not? Anyone else choose not to use it as I have?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My one and only FEC100 fire were the result of a large batch of chickens. One or two were positioned just enough offset from the drip pan to allow grease to ignite on the bottom. I was cooking at 375 and what I found was pretty scary. I caught it early but had no recourse other than to shut down the smoker and stuff a towel in the exhaust to smother the fire. Wound up having to replace the door seals. Frowner

Drip pan is my friend.
The biggest problem of cooking without the grease slide is it will change the way the smoker was designed to cook. I feel pretty comfortable in saying if it made a better cooking environment, Eddy would have made it that way from the start.

The hardest part of cooking with the FEC100, is over thinking the cooking process. If used the way Fast Eddy designed them to be used, they are still one of the top smokers on the market.

Just my thoughts though. Big Grin
Cal,
So what is the process for using a FEC the way Fast Eddy designed it to be used, and how does one get that info? Does Fast Eddy have a website or video on how to correctly use a FEC100? The owner's manual that came with my FEC100 leaves a lot to be desired on how to use one.
My previous 5 years experience with my Amerique, and the tons & tons of helpful info from this Forum has taught me a lot, but I'm still just a newbie, trying to learn how to do better Q. I would welcome any info on correct FEC useage so I could get perfect Q every time....Ha, like that would ever happen!
The # one reason for the drip pan is to prevent grease from dripping directly into the fire pot. If you go high enough in temp (over 300?) then you risk the danger of a grease fire. It does happen. Some will cook chicken at higher temps without a tray to get crispy skin, but you just have to be aware of the risk and manage it.

Design is simple, install so the grease drips away. I cover with foil and change that often.
quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog:
...The owner's manual that came with my FEC100 leaves a lot to be desired on how to use one.

Two part answer.

1. IF you see an issue or have suggestions with the documentation I plead to you to contact CS and ask for improved documents. The customers need to let them know (they don't listen to me too often even though I tell them it's discussed here)

2. I believe there may be some videos coming this year... when I get time to make them Smiler
Ref: how Eddy designed it to be used by cal is that over the years Eddy plays with and tries most every addition/deletion possible.Most don't work and the good ones are incorporated.

The original FEC forums that Smokin'set up were suggested to be printed,or saved to our computers.They were suggested to become our manuals,as more good ideas were added by cooks in the field.

They typically come to us with the K.I.S.S. system in place.Most folks that buy FECs have already cooked on several other cookers.

The foil we suggest is pretty much to make cleaning real simple.
There are some top cooks out there who don't bother cleaning.

Yep,the couple sheets of instructions sent with the FEC are for us to light it and see that it works.After that practice cooking a few things and take notes.What we don't achieve,it was thought we would adjust our technique,not change the cooker.

This is not to say that CS doesn't appreciate suggestions that experienced cooks might offer,as Smokin' suggested.
Here is a list of things to do and have in order to have a successful experience with your FEC100:
First: Get a role of good HD foil
Second: Line the tray with the foil
Third: Learn the hot/cold areas of your cooker.
Forth: Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!!!!!!
After all that, a fire is something you really don't want to deal with. Good luck. Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.