Skip to main content

First, let me say that I plan to call Bill tomorrow.
For the last few cooks my FEC has been dropping pellets down into the fan area. Not many but enough to notice them on the ground below it.
Then yesterday morning at a comp I wake up at 5:30 to a dead cooker. I hit the high heat reset switch (thanks for the info Calvin!) and it came back to life. Finished the cook without any further issues.
Judging by the temp of the cooker-115° and the meat - 140ish, it had not been out long which makes me think it happened at the ramp up time which was 4:30. Using the same profile I've done dozens of times before so I have no idea what happened. It didn't look like I'd had a big fire but I can't rule that out either.
Trying to figure out if this has something to do with the dropped pellets, excess dust in the pellets, or something else. As for the dropped pellets, my auger motor mounting bolts were a little loose which let the motor drop down a tiny bit but I could not see anything unusual about the auger itself. Tightened the bolts and running it now to see it it keeps dropping pellets.
Just checking for thoughts while I have time to work on it before the next comp. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just a couple thoughts.....

I changed my draft fan out last fall, it gave up on low speed. I put back the correct one that was in it originally(lower air flow). I then had a few months of "large fluctuation" in temp swings. A lot of white puff smoke. I woke up one morning to see my temp gauge at 315*.I'm thinking the fan was prolly not moving the air it was suppose to.

I decided to change my fan back out for the newer air flow fan. I have had better results and less fluctuations in temp.

Long story short, I bet your fan is sticking on low and your fire pot is dying down and won't catch fire until it has blown at high speed for a few minutes.

I think the high temp switch kicks off around 400*, bet it happened to you and mine got real close at one time.

You might want to take your fire pot out and make sure it doesn't have a bunch of ash or pellets in the air chute that is blocking air flow.

Nice seeing you guys this weekend.....
I ran it for 4 hours and never dropped another pellet so hopefully tightening the motor mount bolts took care of that part.
I'll have to watch the fan, judging by the flame the air flow seems OK but would be worth checking.
Good to see you and a big Congratulations on winning chicken!!
Greg... just for funsies... at some point pull your firepot out and vacuum the air plenum... you can get a bunch of ash etc in there that can back up into the fan and affect airflow. Especially when you consider having ash/pellets in that area... driving down the road to a comp.... loading and unloading... Easy to get some dust and/or pellets into the fan area.

I clean mine about 2x per year and usually don't find a lot in there... but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know its cleaned out...

Nordy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.