Skip to main content

Our brand new FEC240 has an occasional problem... ignites and runs just fine for 10-12 hours, then suddenly the firebox stops firing up, resulting in and overflow of pellets in the firebox.

We very carefully clean the ash out of the firebox after every smoke (18 hrs max). And we have security equipment set up to the same breaker panel, so we know that it's not a problem with the power going out.

Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this problem with their FEC240?

Many thanks for your help,
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My FEC-120 will do that when temp is set too low, or too small of a load of meat. In my case, the smoker is so efficient that once meat is warmed up after several hours, the smoker holds temp, doesn't need to feed pellets for a while, and the fire goes out. Then the temp drops, and the smoker starts feeding pellets again, but no fire to re-light the pellets. I can't run my FEC-120 below 235 degrees or so overnight unless there it's full of meat.
Had a few problems like this on the FEC 100 when I got it back in 2010. I called Bill at cookshack and he helped me. He listened to the kind of smoking I do (lots of very low temp stuff) and sent me a couple of different controller boards to try out until we got it dialed in perfect. Call them, they will work with you. Also, it may sound strange, but I think others will attest, that they work better after they are broken in.
The 240's are new and I have the honor or curse of owning the very first one..#1001.. It works flawlessly for me once I got in tune with it.. over the last 2 years I have learned and created the best smoking conditions for all of the meats we smoke.. I still need to install the smoke baffle that is now a standard in the newer fec 240s. also if you do not have 3 door latches on your 240 call cookshack and they can hook you up withe the parts.. I noticed it leaked smoke and heat out of the door 1/2 way done. I talked to cookshack and now I believe they all have 3 latches..
The bottom line is that we own great smokers and the pros at cookshack are the best. Talk to bill if you ever have a problem..

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.