Skip to main content

Well, I got the approval from my accountant (wife) to proceed with purchasing a FEC100. I know she wants me to be happy, so I offered to sell my SM025 and my SM150 to supplement the purchase.

My question to the FEC owners...Will the FEC100 sufficiently replace those two machines? Can it do a single brisket or pork butt as well as the SM025 and SM150? I know it will handle the larger loads.

With an FEC100 and my PG500...I just don't think I would ever want another machine. I really like pellet smoking!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well now,I don't have an FEC 500,but there are times I would love to be able to justify one.

I had a Smokette for years,and used it as a warming oven and a portable cooker in a pickup,or SUV.

It is difficult to ever get rid of one.My sons run cattle operations over a large area and they haul it where ever they go.It requires zero supervision and feeds a crew on site.

MY cs 160 is a 1996 model and I often tell folks that I could train a chimp over a cell phone to cook large meats to feed 50 workers.

We do cook a lot of comps and given a choice, I'd use the 150 to cook my large meats in them,and use it as my holding oven.

Now,we've used most series of Fast Eddy's100 since they started making them.
We cook steaks,pizzas,porkloins,a pork butt,a brisket flat-or packers.We use Stuart's method to cook catfish fillets,or trout for the two of us.Works great for a couple lbs of Johnsonville sausage.At comps,we do sausage, biscuits and gravy for our couple neighboring teams.

We like it for a pork,or beef tenderloin.Great the night before comps.

Naturally,we do a slab of loinbacks,altho we personally prefer St.Louis.

Easy to do a half dozen pieces of chicken for dinner,a brined turkey breast,or a 16 pounder for a holiday for 4-5 of us.

I guess I'm talking about the cook.If you can cook on a $200 kitchen stove,you can do it on an FEC 100.

Now,I do have a couple extra FEC 100s along with these others and a PG 500,that I might work up a swap to get that ol' worthless FEC 500-just to get it out a' your way. Wink

Hope this helps a little.
I replaced my Smokette with an FEC-100 several years ago and I've NEVER been unhappy with it.

I mainly cook for my self as my wife dose not eat beef but will eat fish and chicken from the FEC-100.

Cooking a single product in the FEC-100 has never been a problem and I've not been bothered by temperature swings although I must admit I do not hold a remote in my hand to monitor the minute by minute temperature :-) Lately when reading the FEC section I've thought that if I ever encountered any temperature swings that bothered me, I'd figure out how to add some mass to form a heat sink.

I also love the wider temperature range offered by the FEC-100.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
With an FEC100 and my PG500...I just don't think I would ever want another machine. I really like pellet smoking!

Unless you're planning to cater upwards of 75 guests, you've got the bases covered.

When I first acquired my home based FEC100, it seemed a bit like overkill to smoke a single chicken or slab of ribs but now I just consider it an alternative cooking device.

Happy smoking/eating.
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMan:
I replaced my Smokette with an FEC-100 several years ago and I've NEVER been unhappy with it.

I mainly cook for my self as my wife dose not eat beef but will eat fish and chicken from the FEC-100.

Cooking a single product in the FEC-100 has never been a problem and I've not been bothered by temperature swings although I must admit I do not hold a remote in my hand to monitor the minute by minute temperature :-) Lately when reading the FEC section I've thought that if I ever encountered any temperature swings that bothered me, I'd figure out how to add some mass to form a heat sink.

I also love the wider temperature range offered by the FEC-100.

Couldn't have said it better!

With the FEC100 and PG500 you are also set if the competition bug should bite.
quote:
When I first acquired my home based FEC100, it seemed a bit like overkill to smoke a single chicken or slab of ribs but now I just consider it an alternative cooking device.

MaxQ said it best....
I started with the little 009 and thought I would get rid of it when I moved up to the fec100, nothing doin, the patio looks like a BBQ cooker store, the one that might go away could be the trager.... maybe, I have never regretted buying my fec100.
Just to add my $.02. I have both the FEC-100 and the PG-500. I think the FEC-100 being insulated actually uses less fuel on average than my 500 even with the extra space so cooking small meals isn't an issue imo.

I feel my cooking arsenal is 100% complete with the 100 and 500. I can cook at ridiculous direct temps for steaks, burgers etc. or I can cook low n slow and enough food to serve a small army. I have my competition stuff covered with the ability to do different temps at the same time etc.

They are both fantastic machines too.
PadreFan98, you will never regret the FEC100. Awesome quality SS, double insulated, and incredible smoking. Pork, beef, chicken, jerky, and fish. I have been smoking for on a pit smoker for long, long, long time. The FEC 100 is the MacDaddy for getting quality and consistent smoked meat. Oh, forgot to mention, super easy to clean. I just did 100 lbs of Boston Butts, cooked while I slept........amazing...buy it..

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.