Skip to main content

I have three FEC-100s and do some catering. When reheating pans of beans or BBQ I have had all three cookers loose power due to the over temp switch. Ultimately the problem has been the reset switch, which is difficult to access where I have these cookers fixed to my trailer. I want to drill a hole in the bottom cover of the hopper, beside the fan cover, and locate the reset switch to the bottom of the cover. This way if the cooker tripped the button, I could open the cooker to let it cool a bit and hit the reset button accessable on the button of the hopper cover.

Please give me input on this change as I don't want to create any problems with my cookers. They are in excellent condition and I want to keep them that way. Eddie if you see this give me your input!

Thanks
Charles
Pig-Me cooking Team, Inc.
Danville,VA
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As an FEC100 owner of 6 years, I recently discovered that you can access the reset button through the front control panel...as well as the side panel. Just remove the 4 sheet metal screws at the top of the CP and it will tilt back enough to give you access to the dreaded green button. The CP is tethered to prevent it from falling.
Ok, is it just me, but if all 3 are causing a reset, then you're having a different issue. Are you just reheating on such a high heat that it's popping the switch?

When I reheat, I never use over 300 and for me, I've never had the reset pop unless I was cooking above 350.

What temp is causing the reset?

Could the pans be touching the temp probe?

Call CS, walk them through the issue. Maybe they can help isolate the issue.
At times I am re-heating above 300* due to time constraints. I have never had ALL THREE cookers trip the re-set button but all at one time or another have. I have them positioned in my trailer with hitch locks like you use on a trailer through the leg, so the cooker is not easily moved. The side panel is not able to be remove, except on one cooker due to counters.

I think the problem is definitely caused by loading the cooker with three to four full size aluminum pans trapping the heat low in the cooker. I try to shift the pans away from the probe to allow the heat room to rise.

I always try starting with plenty of time it warm, but when cooking along with re-heating sometimes time catches up with you so I often have to raise the temp. That is why I have four cookers.

If I can access the re-set button (relocated the the fan cover) then it would be easy to get the cooker going again and cut the temp back. I have called and left a message for Tony at CookShack.

Thanks for all your input.
C3

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.