Skip to main content

Hey fellas- I bought an FE 100 in 2000. Up in till Saturday night i have never had an issue. the last time i smoked meat i had smoke coming up through the pellet box - did not know what to think. Well this prompted me to check the fire box which was loaded with ash. Ok so i cleaned it out a ( even got a small vacuum in there) After this was done turned the smoker on and - it would not light- so i ended up lighting a piece of charcoal and dropping that in the box to get the fire started. How do you change you the fire " starter" in that thing- is there an easy way and why was the smoke coming through the pellet box

Bernie Wurts
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SMoke was coming through the pellet hopper likely due to the ash build up you mentioned. It's an airflow issue.

It's pretty easy to change out the ignitor, however you may have just dislodged the connector when you removed the fire pot to clean the plenum. I would make sure your ignitor wires are connected behind the control pannel. If they are you may need a new ignitor... you can order one from CS and it's about a 20 min job to replace it.

Alternatively you can light your fire pot manually... Easiest way is a handful of pellets in the fire pot and hitting them with a propane torch. Another option is using some fire starting gel and spray that on the pellets in the fire pot and then lighting that and turning the FEC on.

ALSO - make sure there is no obstruction of the outflow flue, or wind blowing straight into the flue... these things will cause smoke to back up through the pellet hopper as well...

Nordy
I would take all the pellets out of the hopper and clean/vaccum the hopper and run the auger until its cleared out. To get all the sawdust out etc

I would remove the end of the plenum (box in the bottom that holds the fire pot) There are usually 2 or 4 screws in the end of this that hold the end plate on. I would then vacuum out the plenum as there is probably a lot of ash build up in this area.

If these areas are cleaned and smoke continues to come through the pellet hopper, you need to check and make sure your combustion fan is working properly... ie make sure it's speeding up when it should be, and that nothing is blocking the airflow of the fan.

Most importantly make sure there is no obstruction of the flue and make sure the wind isn't blowing directly into the flue, both of these situations can cause back pressure which can cause back flow into the hopper.
Is it a ramp model with a Treiger controller? If so it may not be a 2 speed fan. As a rule my older one blows so hard you can't use a torch to light it with the fan running. It actually blows out the flame. I clean out the fire pot and put a handful of pellets on top of the igniter. Then I light it with a torch with the cooker turned off. Once you have a flame , then turn it to smoke. It should take off fine. If not just check the basics, Blower fan, Auger turning, and verify your igniter is heating up.. Bill and crew at Cookshack can go into much more detail....Good Luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.