Skip to main content

Just ordered my first pellet smoker and it is a FEC120. I have been smoking for several years on Smokette 09 and a very old 105 I picked up used. Also smoke on a HsstyBake.

Reading through the forum for tips and really just left me with more questions so hoping the experienced FEC120 users can help.

1. Best way to season
2. Saw lots of posts about fires on FEC100s. Are fires a huge problem with the 120s.
3. Apparently the FEs produce a dryer heat. I have never needed to add a water pan to anything I have smoked before so not sure how to use (ie...amount of water,use during entire smoke)
4. Any tips as to pellets or any other tips/advice, warnings about the 120 or using pellets?

Thanks in advance. This is a great forum. Did 17 pounds of prime rib yesterday on the 105 that thanks to the gobs of advice on here... were perfect.

OKCJeep
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My answers are based on my FEC100 experience but will generally apply to the 120.

Your instruction manual will provide you seasoning tips. 3-4 hrs at 225 (or whatever the manual suggests) should provide a good initial seasoning. Follow up with a pork butt or two.

Fires - keep the bottom of the smoker clean of debris and grease. Keep meats centered over the lower drip deflector. Vacuum the firepot after each smoke. The one and only fire I've had in my 100 was a result of too many chickens (and high heat) overhanging the drip shelf.

Dry heat is your friend. You'll find the bark on butts and briskets more pronounced. Briskets are best cooked fat side down. If I'm smoking only 1 or 2 racks of ribs, I'll give them a spritz of apple juice every 30 minutes.

Pellets - I've tried quite a few brands. I lean a bit towards Fast Eddy's 100% Hickory but Cookshack's pellets are very acceptable. Your proximity to Ponca City negates the need to pay the hefty shipping charges. If you feel the need to go "off the reservation" and check other pellet options, check out Big Poppa's website. They're usually sold with free shipping.

Finally, pellet smokers provide less smoke profile vs your Smokette & 105. There are ways around this but I'll save that for another day. Season the smoker, cook a few meats and we'll go from there.
Don't think there will be a need for the water pan.

While I have a 100 instead of the 120, my understanding of your smoker is that fires are not a concern. Your fire pot is not in the cooking area, where grease can catch on fire.

Also your smoker uses a convection fan to circulate the smoke in the cooking chamber, which results in more even cooking and even a tad faster cooking times.
The FE120 doesn't have the fire issue because it's in the back. That and the convection fan are the # on reasons.

I'm not a believe in water pans, don't think they help unless the smoker design calls for it, the 120 does not.

Get a PB and some chickens and do a couple of cooks and you'll rapidly come up to speed.

This IS a different heat from the electrics and in some ways better. The design of the electrics is to keep the moisture in to help those smokers work better.
I didn't test the temp when I was seasoning it. After seasoning and to kill time before putting on briskets that night, I threw on some pork ribs. I didn't use my thermometer then either and the ribs were way overcooked and never drew back the bone tips. I noticed a few times it seemed to be running hot.

I used the dual thermometer for the briskets and that was when I noticed the huge swings. 207 through 250 when set on 225. I had two 11 pound briskets on and they were at 200 in 10.5 hours. Tasted great but seemed tougher than what I would get out of my CS 105 but it would take 12-14 hours to get to 200 at 225.

I also used 20 pounds of pellets in 20 hours which sounds about right.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.