Skip to main content

Hi there

I'm new to the forum. I have a new "refurbished" FEC-100 and was smoking a couple pork butts this afternoon. I went out to check on it and realized it had shut down about 4 hours into the cook. It would not power back on.

My cook temp was set at 350 and there was no evidence of a fire. I was windy, could that have triggered the shutdown mechanism?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the replys. @Andj-I checked the outlet and everything was fine. I'm going to check the reset switch here in a few. It started snowing, so I wanted to cover it and wait it out.

@Joe M- I did a 5 hour smoke at 200 and kicked it up to 350 to expedite the process. I got the butts on a little late and only had 7 hours to smoke. This is my first cook on a pellet smoker. Typically on my indirect charcoal unit I would just keep it at 225-250 for nine or ten hours.

Also, ultimately, I'm going into the bbq vending business and wanted to know how quick I can turn out some pork butts. Now I know, haha.
The reset button is usually green and is located inside the hopper assembly. Follow the black wire from the power cord and I think you'll find it. You access it by removing the control panel on the front.

Cooking at 350 will often set off the high temp switch. I would recommend cooking butts or any other BBQ for that matter at lower temps. I typically two stage butts at 180 for 6 hours then 250 till done. Ribs at 275. Brisket same as butts. chicken 275.

Let us know what happens... and if all else fails call Bill at CS on Monday!

Nordy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.