Skip to main content

I've searched but haven't found what I was looking for. I would like to see some pics of contest entries of how the presentation boxes are arranged. I understand that KCBS requires six pieces to sample. Is this in one box? Six ribs? Six Thighs? Six slices? How is pulled pork done? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks guys for bearing with a Newbie.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great question.

We really don't see a lot of "boxes" in here (guess it's from all the experience that a lot of the gang has) but with new guys coming in all the time it would be great.

IF someone wants to submit some photos, just email them to me (my direct email is in my profile). Send me your photos and appearance scores (if you want).

I'll try to work up some photos of my poor, pitiful examples from year 1, but I won't be able to do it until next week

Anyone have photos they want to share?

Quick answer Russ, definitely hit a contest before you really get close to a contest. There are more questions than you can ask in a forum (but feel free to ask)

I think the big 50K event in Pine Bluff is a little far to drive in May or I'd say stop on by and hang out. Find a contest and maybe an FE team will be there so you can see up close.

To answer:

The organizers provide a 9x9 styrofoam clamshell container to you at the rules meeting. One box for each category.

Fill it wilth allowable garnish (that's a whole new thread)

The judges must be able to see six pieces. Turn in 5 chicken pieces and you'll get a bad score (1 for appearance)

The rules say "minimum" so you CAN turn in more if you want. I do.

Chicken: Thighs, breasts, legs, wings, a whole bird cut into 6 pieces

Ribs: Minimum 6 spare or baby backs

Pork. Can be sliced, chopped, chunked. If there is a big pile of pork, they're not going to count pieces.

Brisket. Six slices minimum. you could do pulled, you can turn in burnt ends (chunks)

Russ
Have you had a chance to check these from my post above?

These are starting points that many folks are referred to.
http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/juggy/juggy.htm

Many experienced judges,like Smokin',will say "make your box look like you might have done this before".

Appearance is one place you should get the "almost guaranteed points".

It should look like you care and are good,not that you tossed the entry into the box.

Don't overwhelm with garnish-it is a meat contest.

Try to put more in the box,than the minimum.

Don't put anything in the box,you don't want judged.

Make your pieces look like clones of each other.

Make your cuts clean and neat.

Don't overwhelm with sauce-the judge wonders what you are hiding.

Sometimes very simple,neat ,clean is better than tricky and overwhelming-if you miss,slightly.

Does it say"wow,I'd like to eat this"?

Clean up the box,when you finish it.

Get it turned in on time.

There is no grace period.
Last edited by tom
Looks like the links in the other forum are broken, it's not your software Russ.

My personal opinion, is when most people post what they would score a box on the internet, they're being a lot nicer than the judges and a LOT of them aren't experienced judges and probably just guess at a score. I've posted some that got 7's my first year and on the forums they gave them all 9's.

I see boxes that look pretty bad scoring 9's that wouldn't get a 6 around contests I know of. It's VERY subjective to the judges.

Use them as ballpark only to see what's an 7/8/9 vs a 2/3/4.

You won't know until you do the real thing.

I've got some photos to post, but it'll be a few days (not back in home yet)
If you check the KCBS website,Bullsheet,etc,there may be some judging classes listed.

Many cooks will take the class,to see what the judges are supposed to be looking for.

I.e.,you may cook the finest watermelon in your neighborhood,and the judges are looking for rhubarb. Confused

The FEC class in Ponca City is another great place to learn about what is current in boxes, from a bunch of experienced instructors,judges,students,cooks.

Like Smokin' says,the surveys aren't perfect,and some were put in as what not to do.

Also,the old judges' method sorta stayed in the 7,8,9 and brand new judges may be in the 2,3,4,5 mode.

KCBS throws out the low score,so that is a little help.

Although people "eat with their eyes,first",that is about 1/7 of your total score.

Many experienced comp cooks will tell you to learn to cook it correctly,and present it very,very,neatly.

Does it say" you'd love to eat that entry"?

Many of your judges travel the entire circuit and they tend to look for cooked correctly[texture/tenderness],how it tastes,and was there an effort to make the box neat.

Tricky presentations may give you that 1/2 point[ out of 180],when you have 50-100 really good/close cooks.

Different parts of the country will show slight differences in presentation.

The SE may look for about half bark in the pork box,while the folks north and west of you may show some sliced pork.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Last edited by tom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.