Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good luck Don! Hope you and your brother cook well that day and find some good tables.

Talking about tables...looks like Sonja and I will be judging the regionals in Fort Worth ,Tx for region 2. Hope to get to taste some AWESOME entries!!! We will also hope to see some walks from the CS Forum members?

Unlike a lot of judges, we make sure we stick around and give all the fine cooks a hand at the end. They deserve it,IMO.
Congrats to the teams that walked and those that advanced in the 1st Sams contest in Gilbert,AZ.

Ran across this U-tube of the contest. For you comp cooks that don't get to judge much, I would encourage you to take the time to watch the last part of it. It will give you a great insight of the inexact art of judges and judging. LINK
We were lucky enough to cook the first Sam's Club contest and missed qualifying by 4 points. Many lessons were learned though and we ended up with a 1st in Pork, 2nd in ribs, and 9th overall. My tip of the day is don't ever stray from what's working. Our chicken has been top 5 in the past two contests and we ended up with a 149 this time due to a couple of changes.

The event was ran really well and it was definitely a different atmosphere. I think everyone was hoping to advance and you could tell that people were taking it very seriously. Other than the weather being cold and rainy, it was an exceptional event.
Well, region one is over and there was some really tough competition out there in Vegas. Congrats to those moving on since they are all extremely worthy of it. We didn't do too well, but we learned more than a few tricks that were picked up by talking to and being around that level of competition.

Sam's Club really did a spectacular job with the contest and we had a great time. Best of luck to all that take part in the upcoming contests.
Well Sonja and I just got home from Ft Worth, I reckon this makes the second regional done. I just wonder who's idea it was to judge in Ft Worth in the middle of July? At least they had a big box fan in the tent that was placed in the concrete parking lot, oh well!

Does it surprise anyone that I sampled more over cooked meat than in any other contest that I've judged so far, the cooks were trying their hardest to be perfect in conditions that were less than perfect? With that said, man what a bunch of fine cooks at this contest...I had no sample that was average,far better then that. It truly was a pleasure and honor to help out the fine cooks.

Got to visit with forum member Smoke'N Ice before the contest, that was cool!

Sam's Club did an excellent job and the Reps were very professional. Good luck to those that earned their way to the finials, what a competition that will be!
Last edited by cal 2

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.