Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The way words are used,context,can be important.If you don't understand what the instructor means by a statement,or you listen to the judges' CD and aren't clear-please ask.

They may leave some terms to your interpretation-on purpose.

The team providing the class samples,probably is cooking the comp this weekend.

If they are available Friday,try to visit with them and ask what might be different from their turnin meats.

The cooks' meeting ,late Sat afternoon/early evening is usually open and you can set in and listen.Lets you hear both sides.

If you wish to judge this weekend,ask as soon as you get there,if there is a signup for judges-in case they are short of judges.

If the KCBS rep says they have sample pix of turnin boxes for new teams to look at/ask questions after the meeting-go look.

If you see a team with FEC s,introduce yourself on Friday,tell them you are forum members and there to take the judging class.Ask about their cooker,and any advice,etc they have about anything.

If they ask you back,when they are through,for samples,etc-stop by.

Just try to be consistent and enjoy yourself.
Thanks all! The judging class is put on by Springfield"s Sertoma Club,but the comp won't be till Aug 13-14th, Cattleman's Summersizzle.

They are only allowing 6 from the class to judge the contest, so probably won't get a chance at it, oh well! There are a lot of comps in this part of the country so I'll try to help out while I can and where I can...BUT make no mistakes I'm a cook!
I know the rep will allow them into judges' meetings where the instructions are given,questions answered,etc.

I have seen some individuals that were handicapped allowed to sit in the back,while their caregiver judged.

While competing/cooking some celebrity chefs had camera crews allowed into the judging area and created an uproar with the cooks.

Sometimes,the judging facilities are very cramped,and space could be a problem.

I don't know the answer,but if there is a reason,talk to the head rep .Also,email/call the organizer/judges rep and ask.They might talk to the contest rep and give you the answer.

Smokin',or Ribdog,might chime in with an exact answer.
OMG, I had an incrediable Saturday and you guys was spot on with your advise.Thanks for the tip on taking a pen MaxQue,wouldn't have needed it,but it sure came in handy.

There has to be a Que God and he had to be watching out for me? I learned a lot on the rules at this class and I've meet some more fine folks that have a passion for BBQ.With 70 or so folks at the class, I couldn't believe how we were treated, just like CS treats their family.

I was lucky enough to be the 6th and finial person drawn for judges to help judge Summersizzle.SWEET!

To show how ate up I am, when I got back to the lake, I told my wife I was going to the local grocery store to get a brisket to smoke. This was to celebrate my being chosen. Now I just about went back to the small store that I had bought the Excel select flat a couple weeks ago...but the Que God made me take a small trip to the other local grocery store instead.

What did my eyes see 2 16lb packer briskets in the case.Something diffently was different? I turn the briskets over and there was choice stamped on them and a logo that said premium black angus beef. These briskets had been processed in Arkansas City, KS. I picked out the one I wanted and was afraid it was going to break in half when I was handling it.

I learned Saturday what a choice brisket really looked like. Yes, you can give those briskets the bend test while in CRO and tell which is best, something that I hadn't been able to tell so far.

Like I said the Que God was looking down upon me this weekend.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.