Skip to main content

Hey Guys I know my profile states I just joined but I've actually been a member for a few years but couldn't remember my log in and I changed email addresses so just created another account.
My question is on Competition Ribs. I have owned a FEC 100 for a couple of years now and have competed in some competitions. Our Ribs have seemed to have changed some how and I'm at a loss. I cook at 225 and I use the 3-2-1 method. Tenderness has been a real issue for us. This didn't used to be an issue but for some odd reason it is now. Also we are looking to switch up our dry rub to make it sweeter..Any Suggestions of what else can be used...ours is a brown sugar base but just seems to not be sweet enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated we aren't a main KCBS team but we are trying to improve in different ways.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome back.

Are you cooking S.L. spares or loin backs? Weight?

I cook 2.75 - 3 lb loin backs at my restaurant. I've been buying Seaboard "Prairie Fresh" loin backs from BJ's Club for several years. In the past month or so I've noticed a significant change in quality --- much leaner and weights all over the place. That aside...be it SL spares or loin backs, I'll smoke 'em at 275 for 2 hrs and then foil with brown sugar, a touch of honey or Agave Nectar, a few pats of margarine and and some Tiger Sauce...about 2-3 tbsp per foil pouch.

I give them another hour in the FEC and then toothpick for tenderness. When they're ready I open the foil, let them steam off and re-wrap (FTC) until I'm ready to serve.

One thing you can do to add sweetness is rub the racks with brown sugar a few hours, or overnight. Wrap 'em tight. Add rub and hour or 2 before smoking.

Commercial(sweet) rubs that I like include Butcher BBQ Honey Rub, Williams Rib Ticker and Trim Tabbs Pig Powder. All can be found on the internet.

Finally, a discussion on Johnny Trigg's ribs can be found HERE Mr. Trigg's method has been copied and widely used in KCBS, IBCA and MBM comp events for many years now.
Won a LOT of $$$ on ribs.

St. Louis cut. about 3.5 lb
4 hours (+/- 1/2 hour)

I cook them that way, for home, no foil.

For tenderness 321 is your problem.

The 3 2 1 method will NEVER work well. The issue is that they never mention the weight of the rack of ribs so you're guessing each time. Sometime when you pull out of foil they've already be overcooked and you don't have that hour left.

Do a search in the rib forum on "toothpick" posts by me. Gonna make you work a little, can't just handy you comp ribs in one post, but use a toothpick to determine doneness. I did and I won a LOT of 9's for tenderness because of it. Use to be a secret but I started sharing years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:

4 hours (+/- 1/2 hour)

The 3 2 1 method will NEVER work well. The issue is that they never mention the weight of the rack of ribs so you're guessing each time. Sometime when you pull out of foil they've already be overcooked and you don't have that hour left.

Do a search in the rib forum on "toothpick" posts by me. Gonna make you work a little, can't just handy you comp ribs in one post, but use a toothpick to determine doneness. I did and I won a LOT of 9's for tenderness because of it. Use to be a secret but I started sharing years ago.

I use to foil.... but tried the 275 at 4 hours on my new FEC-100 this weekend.

I will never reach for the foil again Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:

4 hours (+/- 1/2 hour)

I know you have the toothpick method but have you ever put a thermapen in your ribs right when your toothpick test said they were ready?
Just wonder if the ribs are same internal temp when they reach a pass on the toothpick test.
Thx,
quote:
Originally posted by TechMOGogy:
I know you have the toothpick method but have you ever put a thermapen in your ribs right when your toothpick test said they were ready?
Just wonder if the ribs are same internal temp when they reach a pass on the toothpick test.
Thx,

Yes, and the temp was never the same. +/- 10 degrees at times, and varied in the same rib.
I'm no rib expert,but do cook with some.Have to agree with Smokin' that if you think just using a set 3-2-1 would drive you crazy,temping ribs would make you quit cooking them altogether.

When folks talk about a greatly varied version of John and Trish Trigg's ribs,go further back and seek out Bill and Barb Milroy/Texas Rib Rangers that were the great winners/users of the method and shared it with all after 20 yrs.
I use Agave Honey on everything. It has a very smooth texture and is thinner than most honeys. It is also OK for diabetics to eat. I get mine at Sams and Costco.

AGAVE HONEY

Product Description
A low glycemic organic sweetener, Premium Organic Agave is a natural nectar made from of the Blue Agave plant. Agave has a Low Glycemic Index (GI), so it is slowly absorbed into the body, preventing spikes in blood sugar. It is 1-1/4 times sweeter than sugar, so you need less. The sweet mild taste is perfect for sweetening beverages, baking and as a multipurpose sweetener. Use wherever you would table sugar. USDA Organic and kosher certified. Suitable for vegan, vegetarian, Halal and plant-based diets. Product of Mexico.
Last edited by Former Member
I'm with Butcher.

Do you weigh each rack? When I competed, I did. A variance of 1/2 pd would matter in terms of timing. Thickness is another.

I don't like the foiling method because it's affect on the ribs can be VERY suspect. Sometimes it's too tender, so times not enough. The only way to use it is to go for less time, check the ribs and if they need more tenderness, cook them longer.

Tenderness will never be consistent if you go on time alone. It just won't work well.
I used to cook my ribs at 225 as well when I first got the FEC100 and they weren't great at all. We started cooking them at 250 and saw a dramatic improvement. I also agree with the others, don't do the 321. At home it's 270 degrees for 3 hours and then foil w/ the "stuff" and then start checking the tenderness at ~ 40 - 45 min. The thickness of the ribs will affect the time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.