Skip to main content

I'm wondering if any of you are seeing an impact on judging as a result of the "BBQ Pitmasters" television program. I heard Tuffy Stone mention on a re-run the other day, that he always looks for a nice smoke ring when judging appearance. Since, as I understand it, KCBS doesn't allow consideration of the smoke ring because it can be artificially created, this would seem to be different criteria than a lot of cooks are used to. Or is it that consideration of the smoke ring IS allowed in other judging formats?

A lot of folks watch Pitmasters, I suspect a lot of cooks are in that group. So, are any of you feeling the heat on this issue? Is there a shift taking place in the way the turn ins are judged?

What say you?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Seeing it's your first post here let me welcome you to the forums.

I watched a lot of those shows, but frankly I learned my techniques HERE from the people on this BB. Big Kudos to Smokin', Pags, PadreFan, oh man I don't wanna insult anyone but there are so many names I can't remember them all.

It IS interesting to watch the show, but at some point you've seen basically the same thing over and over. Nobody is REALLY showing you their secret rub recipe, their secret sauce, their secret anything. Who in their right mind would. You do see the competition and some of the teasing, presentation and of course what folks have to endure (weather, equipment failures) so it gives you a taste of "the life" at a comp.

I have heard it said again and again that the judges in different areas have different criteria for winning, and the really sharp comp cooks cater to their criteria. I don't think the shows changing anything though. The cooks have too much confidence in their own way, they do adjust for certain judges but not on account of the shows.
Having cooked beside Tuffy at comps around the country for 6-7 years,it is really "tough" to get him to speak,and his Dad usually talked for him. Smiler

When they got Tuffy to do a series,they had to work hard to get him to have a conversation. Big Grin

The guests on Pitmasters freely admit that it is "show business" and they are encouraged to "spout off" stuff.

As to affecting judges,none of the major judging bodies score for/against smokering,altho MIM leaves it up to what you think looks better at first glance may have some affect on how you feel that day..Still no direct score indication.

Kinda "is the well dressed blonde looking good?"... or" is the redhead in heels flashy?"

Yes, taste scores are subjective and whether you like Bulldogs,or Greyhounds could stick in your mind.

Like BigMike says,I think there are a bunch of other items that cause incorrect scores ,way before the smokering.Now some TX organizations and MIM small contests may pick out the parking lot attendant,etc to judge with a 15 min training period.

Just my $0.02
I wouldn't believe anything that was "made" for TV.

Maybe after a cook sat in on a table of judges for a few times and kept his mouth shut. He would learn that most judges are professionals at what they do and when given a set of rules they tend to follow them more often than not. As Tom was pointing out, tastes are what can be all over the board.

Come to think of it, I can't remember any judges talking about the Pitmasters series, but they sure listen if you want to talk about cooking a product properly. Wink
As a CBJ, I dont listen to anything the BBQ Pitmasters judges have to say. There are guidelines we are expected to uphold. I would be more concerned with how they are placed in the box rather than the smoke ring. You'd be amazed at the poor looking boxes that come accross the judges table, none of which has anything to do with a smoke ring. When I judge for appearance (like most others), its color of the meat and placement in the box. I LOATHE poorly constructed boxes, but this is something the pitmaster can control, not necessarily a smoke ring.

That being said, I love watching BBQ Pitmasters!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.