Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I guess you are asking KCBS/FBA?

Memphis would be 18 loinbacks
6 16 lb shoulders
Whole hog.

Times change like Nordy says.

When you have ?choice? packers,we might have to cook three.

If you are overnighting Creekstone primes in at $120,one might work.

Two butts

Four spares

Chicken could be 18 pieces
or,if light and dark could be 18/18.
Are we speaking of a KCBS contest? If so, I'm with Nordy...though I'd probably opt for a 2nd brisket...just in case. Briskets being briskets, it can't hurt to have a fallback. Heck, someone will eat the leftovers Big Grin

Then again, if you plan to smoke a Prime or Wagyu, and are dead, spot-on confident of the results, 1 brisket will get the job done.
When you buy cases,you could wind up with one 15,one 13,one 12,one 10,and one nine.

You usually carry your first pick and maybe the couple smaller ones.

A good restaurant might be pleased with the smaller and sometimes over trimmed.

You hate to use too many primes to practice on the neighbors. Roll Eyes

Back when you had to have them inspected ,still sealed in the vac pak,and couldn't trim at home,you about had to carry three.

We all have opened a nice full packer to find three slashes all the way thru the flat,or an off smell and you just tossed them in the trash barrel. Eeker

I can see sometimes trimming out a 20 pounder at home and inspecting it well,and maybe taking the gamble.

As to what you save by keeping the pieces of meat to a minimum.

Think about driving a heavy truck to pull a 30 ft plus equipped trailer.Typical 1000 mile round trip,maybe $400 entry fee,one,or two nights motel,leave home Wed afternoon,get home Sunday.Meals,beverages,rubs,sauces,expendables,case of garnish,,maybe another $100 for extra space,toll roads,another $100 for odds and ends.

one extra butt $15,couple extra slabs,maybe $100 packer.

Teams that vend will sell it to the public.many travel with a vac machine and freezer and resell at home.They might cook six packers to get those six slices. Eeker

Hope this helps a little.
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
That's roughly what I do... Only recently I've switched to cooking only one brisket.

Dr. Nordy's cooks:
1 brisket
2 butts
3-4 racks of spare ribs
17 pieces of chicken

OK Dr. Nordy, I will bite. Why 17 pieces of chicken? 17 is a prime number and not divisible by anything. So no matter what, something comes out uneven in any arrangement.
quote:
Originally posted by Know Bull:
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
That's roughly what I do... Only recently I've switched to cooking only one brisket.

Dr. Nordy's cooks:
1 brisket
2 butts
3-4 racks of spare ribs
17 pieces of chicken

OK Dr. Nordy, I will bite. Why 17 pieces of chicken? 17 is a prime number and not divisible by anything. So no matter what, something comes out uneven in any arrangement.

Yeah, I'm interested in this answer too!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.