Skip to main content

I just wanted to give a shout out to Fast Eddy Maurin, David Bouska, Russ Garrett, Martin Bouska, Stuart Powell, Red, Merl Whitebook, Jeff North Cutt and the entire Cookshack crew for putting on an incredible Competition BBQ Cooking Class. As a five-year owner of a FEC 100, I thought my barbecue was pretty damn good. But what I learned at the class will definitely move my product up to the next level. And now I have the confidence to maybe enter a few competitions next year.

For anyone considering attending a Cookshack Class, I'd say the number one benefit is the relationships I built with the Cookshack team and fellow barbecue addicts. Everyone was open and gracious in their sharing about all topics, including the embarrassing ones. Not to mention the voluminous amount of information that I learned from David and Fast Eddy. I liked it so much I think I'll go back and take the catering class next year just to hang out with those guys (and gals) again.

Thanks you.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I agree 100% with everything posted above. I smoke on the SMO25 and thought my BBQ was good but I now view it to be very average with no comparison to what these guys put out. The thing that I noticed was that all involved are very passonate about what they do and their willingness to help others by sharing their story and knowledge.

Thanks to all involved!
I too would like to offer my thanks, to team Butcher BBQ, Dave and Martin. Also, a special thanks to Fast Eddy for sharing the Miracle Whip secret sauce recipe. For Nordy and Smokin Okie I would like to thank you for having patience with answering the same questions from different sources. Thank you to Stuart & the Cookshack team, Bill, Christa, Dave and all those who worked behind the scene to bring us a great BBQ class. The passion you all have for BBQ showed. It was a great time.

The trip home was certainly an adventure. Leaving Ponca city on icey I-35 to Witchita, for our flight home started with the ramp to the airport closed with a horse trailor jack knifed across the ramp. We scrambled to find our way to the airport on another route.

After a short delay, we're off to Chicago for our next stop. (Cheaper to take a hopper). The storm that left Oklahoma, was now in Illinois.

We had a long delay but we're finally aloud to board. As the plane was being de-iced, the ground crew pumped de-icer in to the Aux. Battery compartment and killed the plane at the gate. After another hour, were up and running and finally taxing to the run way.(yea!). Just a short flight to Miwaukee, Wis.

But wait, there's more. The pilot comes on the p.a. To inform us we pasted Mitchell Field because the airport is closed. The snow plows are struggling to keep up with the blowing snow, and we may have to return to O'Hare Airport.(so close and yet so far away.)

We circle for awhile so snow plowes might clear a path. A 1" snow dusting turned in to a 5"-6" storm with blizzard like winds. The pilot informs us were going to go for it! That, was one hell of a white knuckle landing. At one point the cross winds had us almost side ways, sliding all over the runway.

But with all the delays we had through out the day. We did manage to miss the 20 car pile up on I-94 . The route we take home.

Even with all that. The people we met. The knowledge we picked up, and hopefully the relationships we made. The trip was well worth it. We would do it again in a heart beat.

I hope with the confidence we gained, that in 2014 we will take "THE WALK". THANK YOU!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.