Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They're not winning because you get better results with H/F cooking. Key is whichever method you use you have to practice, practice, practice.

Try it and see if it works for you.

H/F is just cooking at higher temps but you have to watch it like a hawk at the end, it can shoot through your target temp very fast.
Is cooking at 350 on an FEC a good idea? Is it too close to the shutdown temp of 425? I had explored the fast cook on my Klose cooker, and found that while I could get the temp that high, it just wasn't stable at that temp.

My FEC100 seems like it would be, but just curious if people think it's a wise idea. (Of course most people do a fast cook so they can sleep, which is not a problem with the FEC cookers anyway.)
An answer might be difficult because the limited size of the sample.

Since being with Eddy from the early years,the comp cooking of smaller chicken pieces at that temp by some teams was about all you heard with FECs.

Eddy teaches some products cooking from 250º to 275º which is considered hot by many.

There are some of the guys cooking with Kloses, out of central and west TX ,that you run across that may finish as high as 325º.

Most cookoffs,you can wander all day and not find a fast cooker.

First,it is difficult to get any smoke.At 350º it is like cooking in your house oven and basically useful for cooking lean meats without collagen to break down.
Second,with full cookers of any kind you can get grease pooling which can start a fire.

The one cook that teaches hot/fast,probably has some followers.He is braising/steaming meats.

The cooks we know, take his course for his hog techniques- which are low and slow.He does hot cook some shoulders,but cooks we know don't use that area of his cooking.

Sorry to slide off topic,but hope this helps a little.
CBQ, the answer depends.

What are you wanting to cook at that temp? Most of the "high heat" that I see is 275 to 325, I rarely see 350 mentioned.

The problem with 350 and above is that if you open the door too much, and the temp drops, then the auger tries to drop in a lot of pellets to catch up and it will overshoot.

Best answer I can offer is to try it and practice. At comps is never the time to try a new method. Do it at home. You'll have to learn how it works on your sauces and rubs because many of them can burn at that temp.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.