Skip to main content

I am a new KCBS Certified Barbeque Judge. My first judging opportunity turns out to be the State championship, The Western Maine BBQ Festival, to be held in just over a month.

I am seeking the advice of competition cooks and veteran BBQ judges. What can you tell me that will help me do right by the competitors and the other judges.

Thanks very much.

Gary
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First, don't let ANYBODY tell you what you like or don't like, as far as taste goes.

Judge to the criteria that was taught in class, as far as tenderness/texture goes.

NEVER comparison judge the entries, let each entry be judged on its own merits. If there are 3 or 4 or 5 excellent entries,then reward the fine cooks ALL the same...excellent dry ribs are the same as excellent sauced ribs! Correct???

Lastly, take your time, it's not a race to see how fast you can get through 6 samples. There will be some samples that one bite is all you will want to taste, but there will be some entries that will take multiple bites for properly judging the entry.It took the cooks all night so at least give them 30 minutes of your BEST effort.

Take a cooler cup to put around your water bottle.
Cal has great points.

Many new judges say they don't compare... they do

Many say they don't have preconceived ideas... they do

Key is to be neutral.

Judge the entries as presented not now a forum says they should be judged. "bite through skin" on chicken wasn't even in the rules for judging, it came up on the internet.

Be fair. You're not the king of BBQ but you SCORE is. You give a team a 6 they likely won't place. 7,8,9's usually are in the running.

for me? When in doubt, give the higher not the lower score. I've talked with judges and many say if they're torn they give the lower.

Have fun with it, and realize how much time/effort/money they put into it and youre score is based on one or two bites.

Nothing wrong with scoring them high if it's good.

Put yourself in the teams place. If you gave them a 5 for ribs, would they know why?

If there is ANY question, ask the rep, not the other judges.
Another way of saying what the judges above have mentioned is the judging schools can get into teaching what could be wrong with the box.

Did a volunteer stack boxes to carry inside and yours has sauce on the lid?Did they slide the box down the turnin table and an otherwise pro looking box have jumbled ribs,or garnish that is strangely misplaced?Does a novice Table Capt show the box from the side,or upside down and make the entry look poorly presented.
Does a local restaurant cook turn in a box of ribs or chicken that doesn't have the beautiful color of others and style of cut,so we let that poor appearance ,that actually eats great, influence our low taste/tenderness score?

Yes,in some areas,with large,quality contests there can be very fine distinctions among the very finest cooks and then these get to be deciding points.

Some judges/cooks that have been around awhile might say"would you drive across town and spend your money to eat the entry"?

There is not a score for this,but might be an underlying attitude. Smiler

Some journeyman judges might say watch and listen to the others at the table and you'll learn the good and bad about judging. Big Grin

Give the cooks the benefit and enjoy yourself.
Thanks to all of you for your input and advice. I knew I could count on you guys for help. I will take it all to heart and do my best to be appreciative of the competitor's efforts and give credit where it is due.

I expect to feel like I'm stumbling and bumbling my way through this first one. But I trust I will come out the other side with more confidence and experience.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.