Skip to main content

Dear winners, we're having a local Rib cookoff which will probally be loinbacks. Being my 1ST competition, I have no Idea what I'm doing. I'm sure I can cook the ribs (have before), but am clueless what to bring. Will some of your 'old hands' responsed with a top five or ten list of the most valuable things to bring to a comp, other than the obvious (I think I'll remember the smoker and meat).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are a couple of good checklists out there, maybe someone has a link to them or Google "barbecue competition checklist" so here you go:

Google search

KEY is to practice. Set up in your driveway, backyard and cook just like you do in a contest. Get a notepad. Everytime you run into the house, add that to your checklist.

Key is how much or how little you want to take. I know teams that have it all in the back of a pickup and others that need a 40' trailer and an RV to pull it.
Most comps have power for the pro division, the backyard teams normally don't get any. A deep cycle and an inverter will do the trick for the FE. As for stuff to bring??? Smokin is right about making a list. My first comp was a hometown event and it took me 3 trips to get all the STUFF to the cook site. Then after I got home and saw the small amount of STUFF I really needed I felt silly!!! As you practice, keep up with what you use in detail. Then you can do it again later with less stress. Good Luck!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.