Skip to main content

Stoke & Smoke BBQ competed in Kannapolis NC a week back and out of 58 teams we took Grand Champion. It is our first one and we are elated.
It took us 6 years but we did it. It was the Inagural running of the "Jiggy with the Piggy" KCBS competition. We get a free invite back next year which was a great touch. We also get an invite to the American Royal this Oct and WE ARE GOING!!!!!!!
I also understand we get a chance for a draw to the Jack. That would be unreal and a topper.
The people of Kannapolis run a great Competition and Eddie Smith needs a big round of applause.

Thanks,
Mike Lewis
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Max Q.
I am getting to know the FEC 500 because I cook on it every week. I also have a vending and catering business so that helps me get to know the smoker alot better. That old addage Practice,Practice,Practice is true. This award has really helped the business incidently. The thing that is nice is having the room in the 500 where we can position meats where they don't interfere with each other. I also noticed the cook this time went real smooth with no real hangups. Our food we turned in all tasted pretty good. We try to tweek flavors mostly. We tweeked a few things but didn't really veer off our original game plan. Having the trailer and being inside keeps us focused and people from stopping by and peeking over our shoulders.
We do document every move during a competition on a time line on the computer so we can duplicate it when we have success and that has helped. Our biggest tweek is we changed our pork sauce and got the highest ranking so far.
So I guess it is a culmination of everything that has gradually got us to this point. We just have been trying to simplify and improve our process and our food.

Mike Lewis
Stoke & Smoke BBQ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.