Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

have yet to try the ribs but I have sampled the 8 bone "prime rib of pork"...both brined and roasted whole, and single bone grilled rib chops. The flavor & marbling is consistent with that of Snake River's Kurobuta pork and the fat cap trim is a bit better. Think I paid about $7 @ lb for it...less than SRF.

I know of a couple of comp cooks who use the Duroc ribs and are quite pleased with them.
Glad to see some of our great chefs, going after the more-flavorful pork.

I took some of our Certified Tamworth (USDA inspected) chops to a local high-end restaurant and the guy never called me back. When I called him, he said they were extremely good, but He could not survive the 6.00 pp price point. How do you guys do it in the restaurant business?
Are the Creekstone ribs from Compart? I had some of the Compart St. Louis cut ribs, and was not impressed. They did a very poor job of trimming them to St. Louis cut. I would not order them again. For the price I expected much better quality. I just ordered some back ribs from Creekstone. The should arrive this week. I raised registered Duroc hogs for 10 years, and one of the things that I miss most is having that fresh pork in the freezer. I have ordered the Kurobuta pork chops from Snake River Farms, and they were very good, but very small, and inconsistent in size. I wanted to try their back ribs, but they were out. Guess we will see how the Creekstone ribs work out. I'm planning to cook some this weekend.
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bill:
I took some of our Certified Tamworth (USDA inspected) chops to a local high-end restaurant and the guy never called me back. When I called him, he said they were extremely good, but He could not survive the 6.00 pp price point. How do you guys do it in the restaurant business?

It all depends on the food cost target. A "white tablecloth" FC target normally ranges 28% - 34%. In my case, it's 28. At $6 pp, a 12 oz chop costs $4.50. Unless the menu is strictly priced a la carte, one needs to recover the cost of salad, dressing, bread, butter, veggies, sauce, etc. This is referred to a Q-factor. Let's attribute $1.25 towards Q. The total cost is now $5.75. Given a 30% FC goal, the mark-up formula is 100/30 = 3.33 x $5.75 = $19.16...rounded down to $19. Given today's prices, $19 for a farm to table Heritage pork chop is IMHO, very reasonable.

Another approach would be to price the chop as a special. In this case the mark-up is applied to the entrée cost and the Q is added to the sum. $4.50 x 3.33 = $15 + Q ($1.25) = $16.25

btw....I would buy your Tamworth chops at $6 pp all day long Cool
The other thing that spooked me from getting into restaurants, is, the guy I talked to said he goes thru 2 cases a week of 8 oz chops and would not need any of the other cuts. I think I could get to the place where I could produce 2-3 pigs a week, but what would I do with the other parts of the Pig? A pig ain't all chops. I'd still have two hams, two butts, two shoulders, two spares, two sides of bacon, trotters, jowls, hocks to deal with. And then assuming I only get 40 or so pounds of chops off a hog, that would only be 240.00 income from this particular cut. Then I have to subtract the 110.00 FC for the animal and the 176.00 processing fee and delivery of the pig to the processor and the meat to the restaurant. Lot of work for a retired guy...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.