Skip to main content

Cooked a beautiful packer brisket in my FEC 100 for recent KCBS competition. Placed 7/76 but two judges marked down appearance because it "looked dry". Brisket was anything but dry when eating it but, I have to agree when it sat for a few minutes the exposed surface did look a little dry. This cost me two places in the category.

How do I keep the exposed surface looking moist until the judges have graded it?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Place a foil pan with an inch of water under the brisket through the cook, checking evaporation every now & then. When time to FTC the meat, strain the jus, refrigerate and remove fat cap. Taste and add 1 can of Campbells Beef Consomme. Taste and reduce if needed.

The last thing you do before closing the box...paint your slices sparingly and run like hell to the turn-in tent.
take the pan, with the au ju and keep it next to you when you slice, as each slice comes off set it in the auju. Remember the order so they go back into the box in order. Go from the au ju to the box, then cover with a little strained au ju. should take the edge off the dry appearance. Can also lightly glaze with a little spray oil prior to turn in. Just a mist. Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by Nekked Pig:
Cooked a beautiful packer brisket in my FEC 100 for recent KCBS competition. Placed 7/76 but two judges marked down appearance because it "looked dry". Brisket was anything but dry when eating it but, I have to agree when it sat for a few minutes the exposed surface did look a little dry. This cost me two places in the category.

How do I keep the exposed surface looking moist until the judges have graded it?

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing if I could get a walk in a 76 team contest. If you took your energy and focused on getting a call in the other three meats, it would be a good day when they read the overall scores. Wink
Good advice from the experienced judges above,if you agreed with almost all judges that you were dry.
That said,if almost all liked it,stick with what you are doing.Like cal says,some judges just write stuff,because they think they are supposed to. If you start changing for the occasional judge,it will drive you crazy and kill what you are already doing well. Roll Eyes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.