Skip to main content

HAving just bought my first FEC I am starting to think about logistics of using the FEC a comps.

The small (however smooth they roll) casters must be a PIA to roll over grass and most of our comps are on grass.

I know some cooks use trailers with a porch or a rolling kitchen but that is not an option for this year.

I see some people put coookers on a lawn cart but question if this will work with the uneven balance of the FEC.

Another consideration I must take into account is my trailer. I have a 8x10x6 cargo trailer with a 63" door opening so I have to address the height either way.

What are people doing for portability at a cook site? Has anyone modified their FEC for height?

Any input is appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There was a comp team from a few years ago called Bill and the Dixie Chicks. He cooked on two FEC 100s at comps. He transported his in an enclosed trailer that the opening was too small to roll the FEC out of. He took the two FECs and shortened the legs and reattached the casters. This seemed to work for him but I caution that you will be stooping alot to put meats in and taking them out. Plus, you will be stooping to clean it out also. Just a few thoughts.
I put different casters under mine, I believe they are 5" but I'm not sure. they are the plastic ones and I wish I would have used pneumatics. The plastic works pretty well on grass, but I have to roll it on gravel at home and they aren't so good then. I would have to measure to see how tall it is now

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.