Skip to main content

Greetings,

I am almost done setting up my small 6x10 comp trailer. I have a prep table, shelving, the FEC, the treager and assorted other stuff.

Since I already have the tripplite system on board and I pull the trailer with a motorhome that has uber generator, I have been thinking of swapping a small fridge instead of the cooler. I can age Briskets between comps and then pack it up and plug it into the inverter for the ride to the comp.

I found a 24"x24"x35" unit on close out at Sears and it will fit in the trailer...cambro 400 might go nicely on top.

IS anyone else using a fridge in a small trailer? If not what do you do as far as transporting meat to comps. I have a few vending and party gigs this summer and I have to be serve safe legal as well.

Any thoughts on cold storage of meats between, in transport and at comps are welcomed.

thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The small refrig is nice,but has at least one downside.

Many teams,us included,have partially frozen our garnish and also the pre-prepped turnin boxes.Some small electrics lack great controls and can get very cold,when not opened.Many use heavy coolers,dedicated to meat transport and storage.

Others use the cambro.

Hotel pan of ice on top and separate pans for meats below it.

Hope this helps a little.
For travel, good ice chest (with the 5 day insulation) are very versitle and hard to beat.

On site I would take the ice from the icechest, put in a 4" pan and put in the bottom of the cambo. Then place the meat after I rub and prep it into the cambro above the ice. Says cold and in most cases the ice never even melts any.

I'm not sold on aging in a little fridge. Aging is about maintaining a set temp (38) or below. The on/off of traveling isn't good. The temp controls on those like Tom says aren't great. I've seen them go freezing without changing the setting and then it freezes the items. Had that happen in a comp with the parsley. Froze all the pre-prepped boxes.
Last year a team had a large frig in their trailer, but they weren't using it. I asked why, and they told me that the heat it generated made it difficult for the A/C to keep up or sometimes not keep up. Has anyone experienced this. We have considered this but have not done so for the above reason.
Yep,that can be a problem.As you go in and out in hot weather comps,A/C can be a struggle.

I'm sure for enough money,and design panels it can be handled.Motor homes can do it.

Lots of us that use large Toy ,race car haulers have the problem of losing so much A/C that it is difficult to recover,unless the front area with refrig is paneled/insulated away and the work area just copes.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Yep,that can be a problem.As you go in and out in hot weather comps,A/C can be a struggle.

I'm sure for enough money,and design panels it can be handled.Motor homes can do it.

RV Refrigerator condensers are on the roof, not in the RV, so the heat isn't created in the RV.
Edit: That said, I wouldn't use one for your purpose.
Look at some small undercounter commercial units, they will hold a more contant temp. True makes some nice stuff, and they are made in the US too. Not cheap though.
Last edited by wayneb

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.