Skip to main content

Ok Folks,

Today's test will use some of the changes that I believe I need to make and see what Happens.

The Tale of the Tape:
Packer Brisket: After Trim, Approx 10lbs of Select Brisket from Sam's Club. Hand Picked.

Injected with Butcher's Beef Injection with Prime Dust and Apple Juice as the Liquid.
Injected and the reamining poured over the top and set in the refirgerator for about 4 hours.

Rubbed with a mixture of 1 Cup of Butcher's BBQ Rub and about 3/4 Cup of Plowboy's Bovine Bold. (Last one I cooked I used Kosmo's Cow Cover and myself and friends thought it was too spicy.)

I will cook with Cookshack Hickory Pellets.
FEC 100 is set to 350 and I am going to try the A-Maze-N Smoker filled with Same Pellets to see if It will assist in producing more smoke to offset the efficiency of the FEC at that high of a temp.

I have the brisket on the top rack with no pan and will cook that way for 2 1/2 hours and then I will put it in a pan with a grate to keep it out of its juice wrap with foil and.

I plan to cook this one to 195 instead of 205 this time. so see if I can keep from missing the doneness window.

I didn't take any prep and pre-cook pictures because I think you all know what a trimmed and rubbed brisket looks like.

I will try to remember to take a picture at the 2 1/2 hour mark before I pan and wrap.

I will follow up when finished.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well It took a while longer than the last time to get to the point I thought it was "Done".

I took it to 200 instead of the planned 205 and actually took the foil off for a while because I wanted to set the bark (A little too much)

I pulled it off and Let if rest about 4 hours and It passed the snap test really good in the flat under the point where I like to use as turn-in slices. It was a little tough out on the end of the flat. I thought the point was really good as well.

I think If I had a good choice brisket, this cook would have pleased me and then it would have been up to the judges.

Whole Packer Cooked. It looked a little dark on one end I think this was when I took the foil off at the end.

Last edited by Former Member
Hi David,

I'm still confused by the temps. Why the point? If you're not turning in the point, I wouldn't temp the point. Figure out the temp in the section you're going to turn in.

Not sure how the flat is tough if the point is 205. It should have been possibly overtender and maybe dry, but the point is typically done after the flat.

Focus on the area for your turnin. The rest doesn't matter except as backup in case that part doesn't taste right.

How was the taste? Since you're focusing in on the H&F, is it better than your other methods?
quote:
he point I thought it was "Done".
I think he was talking about point as a figure of time when it was done. Not the point or deckle.

Nice looking brisket! It's funny how you mention one end was tough since it seems like whenever I have a good brisket there is always one end I'm happy with and the other I'm not.
Smokin,

I may have mis spoke I had my temp probe in the flat where the point overlaps the flat. I seem to turn in slices in that area if they are good and moist and pass the snap test and the underside bark looks good.

Myron's book said to temp the point for some reason and I've heard that the point will come to temp a little quicker than the flat so you can start toothpicking the flat and not miss the window.

Thanks For the Help with the pictures. Someday i'll figure it out Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
... I understand a lot of Tx,Ok cooks don't turn in burnt ends, ...

I don't think that's accurate. I think the trend, even 3 to 4 years ago was to put BE in if at all possible. TX maybe, certainly because of the non-KCBS contests. But they don't necessarily know how to do burnt ends anyway... Big Grin
Understand, it was sounding more like we didn't know how.

I did some BE for a party and got the ultimate compliment. Guy down from KC, says he eats them all the time. He couldn't find any here in town so he had mine.

"these are better than any I've ever had in KC".

Guess I'm a BE expert now too Big Grin

Love compliments like that.
I've been taught that a person wants to make sure of the credentials of a cook/teacher before he starts following down ones path...just a thought!

I've been taken two classes and have seen three of the top brisket cooks teaching methods, none of them trimmed a brisket the same way, but all have had perfect brisket scores more than once...guess I'm sayin' there is no magic way, if that is what one is seeking!

Smokin' has a pretty good video of trimming and injecting a brisket. LINK
I'm no expert,but have been around a few.They all had a system that required each/all the steps.

Sometimes, it is difficult to use pieces of several different techniques and get that "great " result.

Taking Myron's course,or cooking by him for a number of years, you see where particular "strange" pieces might fit.

Like we are all doing,practicing cooking packers,and taking good notes will help our own techniques the most.

Just my $0.02

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.