Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great Bend KS 2013 "Chest to Chest Brisket" + KCBS

SRF briskets - $385
KCBS meats - $225
Sauces & rubs - $50
Diesel fuel - $1,200 (DFW to Great Bend & back)
Lodging and meals - $400 +/-
Tasty adult bevs - $100
Entry fees - $300
Pellets & incidentals - $100

Losing Chest to Chest to Andy Groneman "Smoke On Wheels" by .003 pt = Priceless Prize money went to 1st place only Frowner
Sure...this was the Sams contest in St Charles,Mo a few weeks ago.

2 Creekstones briskets....$85
24 chicken thighs....25.51
package of PB's ......$36
3 slabs of ribs.......$36
rub, sauce, injections....$33.75
ice,lettuce, parsley......$15.03
entry fee.................$250

Total........$481.30 plus fuel(aprx $230)

placing 6th chix, 4th pork,10th brisket and a whopping prize check of $150...lol!

A side note, brisket prices were those bought in Dec., I'm gonna cry when they run out. Also used about $4 worth of pellets, oh well!
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
I think I am going to open a trophy shop specializing in trophies with pigs, cows and chickens on them. All will say "first place" Grand Champion. Any size for $1,000. Heck that's less then the fuel to go compete. Just a thought.

Yep, won ribs at a contest last summer and the prize, along with some cash, was a nice picnic basket with all the accessories. Wife seen I wasn't as happy as her, when she asked why, I said I'd rather have had a plastic trophy. Eeker
Don't get me wrong- cause I really want to try a BBQ competition some time.

I can see the price of the ego of winning (my wife would have some vision problems there with $$$ outlay)

Is it the bragging rights?

Is it the "joy of BBQ'ing?

Are there some "little competitions" that are a lot cheaper.

Where's Myron getting all his winnings from? Are there really some big purses out there?

Dang, I really want to do one now (just not that much $$$.)
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cook One:
Heck that's less then the fuel to go compete. QUOTE]

We were hauling a 34' trailer into a 30+ mph north wind on the way up; a stiff south breeze coming back.

All kidding aside, I wish I was good enough to enter. Really don't matter what it cost, just knowing I won't win keeps me from trying. I really do admire those with both the equipment and the skills to compete. Hat's off to you guys that do it.
quote:
Originally posted by Que'n RN:

I can see the price of the ego of winning (my wife would have some vision problems there with $$$ outlay)

Where's Myron getting all his winnings from? Are there really some big purses out there?

When I have this conversation with other folks on why.....I try to tell them it's like racing dirt track cars, tell me how many of those folks break even. We all load our chit up and go have fun on the weekend though. Big Grin

You can get into a local contest around here for $125-150, but meat is still gonna cost the same if you are trying to win. We do resale some of it though.

Just as happy when our friends do well, as if we do. It really is legalized gambling after you think about it. Roll Eyes
Cal,

I raced various things for 25 years. And never had a year were I won enough to pay the costs of racing. But Man it was a blast doing it. the last year, I ran dirt late models, with a crate engine. Won enough to pay entry fees, but not the $7,000 in repair bills.

Racing is like cooking, only a very few pay the bills with winnings. But it is a blast to meet people and then there is the friends you get to spend time with.

RandyE
quote:
Originally posted by Que'n RN:

We got into comp cooking on the local circuit around here for several years 1908-2005 or thereabouts. IBCA/LSBS..no KCBS. Entry fee usually around a hundred bucks in those days..prob higher now. Never did get very far from home 200 miles max. For most contests we tried to cook two briskets..two racks of spare..and two split chickens. Occasional pork butt category thrown in. By the time the total expenditures were added up..figuring in the meat..food to eat..beer..cooking supplies..rub..charcoal..whiskey..bottled water..gasoline for the MH..it would tear the heck out out four or five hundred bucks for a close one. You will find the folks who can make money at the hobbby cook a lot. Most of the big boys and girls cook 40 to 50 times a year which is not feasible for most folks. The general game plan for ambitious types seems to generally consist of gathering up a few dust collectors then start putting on how to cooking schools..writing books..peddling rub.. pits etc. Outlaw catering maybe. All kinds of money making schemes out there. Its a hobby for rich folks. Chili cooking is nearly as much fun..much cheaper and way less manuel labor and sleep deprivation. Also slightly easier on the liver. Best of fortunes.
Last edited by bigwheel
As Smokin' knows,those words"exact costs" sure open the worm can.

Those folks that draw up business plans and take things to the fellows down at the bank,must be reminded about the incidentals when we start out the cook season.

Like the free items that someone must pay for.

The truck/family SUV and maybe the set of tires,or even a transmission.

The days,or overtime missed from work.

The pair of EZ Ups/small trailer.etc.

You get the idea.

Many lenders/consultants tag the "costs" of the 2nd /part time job,or hobby that doesn't raise income at $12,000 to $15,000. Eeker

More contests are using the BBQ teams to pay for their fund raising,so 100% of the entry fees aren't going back to the teams.[of course few can bank on any payback at all from the contests].Naturally,you feel pressured to buy all the assorted raffle tickets.

FLBBQ may charge $400 entries.
The extra booth/site space for the longer trailer/RV fee of $50.Some comps say it is about "charity" and force you to buy all your beverages-right down to bottled water from their vendors.
If you are in an open field,first time used from Wed. night to Sunday,a $40-$50 porta potty is almost essential for your female co-cook.

Often 1200-1500 miles round trip.

From FL,when you basically travel to qualifiers,means a different state of the SE every trip.
Means Wed thru Sunday on the road.Hope the boss appreciates your hobby. Big Grin

Not many teams can represent themselves well without spending the same money for meats and other disposables every week practicing.

Like the others say,we love our family,hopefully we like our job,and then it sure is nice to have that "hobby" that can be our passion.Kinda like the boat that is "pouring dollars down a hole in the water". Roll Eyes

I have heard ,in older days,that areas like MO/KS that you might have 2-3 contests within 150 miles and some entries could be $100 to $150,you had a pickup truck/station wagon as your personal transportation.Your kids,or a neighbor had a popup tent,etc,a couple coolers,a couple old card tables.Extension cords,hose,small fan.The wife's salt,pepper,garlic salt,seasonal,couple knives,her dishwashing gloves,and a large mixing/washing bowl,whatever sauce she bought on sale and had in the pantry.Wood from the dead tree in your yard.

10 bag of $.79/lb leg quarters[take leftovers home to the kids]................................$8
One 8 lb butt........................$16
Two slabs frozen spares from a
sausage sow 8 lbs X $1 X 2 slabs.....$16
Walmart closeout,frozen packer $1 X 16 lb $16
....................................Total $56

few dollars for ice and $2-$3 for rabbit food.

Seems like a few years,maybe a decade back Rick Salmon said he could cook a local comp for $250-$300.

Of course we have all heard the sorta quote",I don't care nothin' about winnin',it is all about the bondin' around the cookfire at night and the friendships I make".Yep,we all enjoy that.

To help get a little closer,many of us have used Linda Hopkins/Smokin'Guns' lists .Linda had one for your business /tax and another for packing every week.They have been around about a decade and a half, that we borrowed and tweaked it to fit our needs.Thanks again Linda and Phil.

Smokin'Guns Packing List
Last edited by tom

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.