Skip to main content

Hondo (Coach and Max) finished the invitational 94th overall out of 174 teams.

Congratulations to Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke for Grand Champ, T-Mac Smokin for GRC, Quau for 3rd and Team Butcher for 4th place.

Hondo;
Chicken - 139th (161.6572)

Ribs - 36th (170.2744) we beat Johnny Trigg & Myron Smiler

Pork - 140 (157.6912) Wish I had that one to do over again

Brisket - 39th (170.8572) again, we beat Trigg and Myron.

We had nice chats with Stuart, Fast Eddy, David Qualls and a host of other fine cook teams.

Great time, totally exhausted. Time for an adult beverage. And no, we never made it to the Dark Side Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The scoring was:
989,788,878,877,879,888 --- 3 7's on flavor.

This was the 2nd pork box I've turned into a KCBS event and the 1st box to feature money muscle slices. The center pieces were moistened with my finishing sauce and then painted with some glaze. What I failed to do was moisten the MM slices with finishing sauce, though the outside was glazed prior to slicing. The slices were probably dry by the time they hit the table.

Yeah, I guess you could call the AR Invitational the Superbowl for the fact that all the top KCBS teams (those lucky enough to hit a GC in '13) were there. The "Jack" might be a bit more prestigious as you only get there with an invite.

One thing's for sure, once noon starts rolling around and it's time to start turn-ins...time takes on a whole new meaning Big Grin
I hear you David. I don't care what anybody tells me about judge training and background. You've got 500 individuals with different tastes buds and preferences. Contests may get judging fairly consistent but subjectivity is still there. Did a judge ever have a bad day? Good table or bad table?

You may not have won the contest, but I'd eat your brisket any day.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.