Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sure, not a problem. I use a two stage cook on my big meats. They go on at 8pm and come off early in the morning to rest in a cooler/cambro. The ribs go on at 8am, the chicken goes on at 9am and both comes off when it's time for turn ins.

I cook around 250* most of the time, with a little more heat to finish off the big meats.
One thing the experienced comp pros teach is to go thru a contest practice cook at home, start to finish, prior to your first event. Prep and cook all the meats your sanctioning body requires.

Prior to your practice cook ---
Assemble a time table as per prep, cook, finish.

Assemble a list of EVERYTHING you need to execute the prep, cook and turn-ins.

Keep notes during the practice cook as to anything you forgot on the above two lists.

Know the turn-in times of your contest.

Plan your practice cook 2-4 weeks in advance of your Sept event.

Bottom line, you want all your ducks in a row before Saturday noon of the comp Big Grin
Should be pretty easy except for the chicken. Smoked chicken dont "usually" tend to do well around here. Most folks have a chicken blaster of some sort. Course we cook halves here in God's Country..and the winners usually get cooked highly rapidly..as in its eyes are still blinking when it hits 175 in the fat part of the thigh. I even happened to figure out the math once. For 4 splits..for each five mins above one hour it takes to get them done..it will drop one place in the judging. We dont cook parts..lol.
quote:
Originally posted by bigwheel:
You cooking in the pans with Oleo Marjoram maybe? Some of the seasoned citizens do that around here. I tried it a few times but it tasted funny. Sorta like it had been boiled. I musta not knowed how to do it right.

Yep, can't say I haven't eat a few of those while trying to get better at it. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.