Skip to main content

On three seperate occasions this week I went to a grocer called shop N save...and each time purchased either baby back or st. louis style ribs....and on each time of opening the cryavac packing the ribs smelled terrible, almost a sour spoiled smell....
After the fourth rack of smelling rancid the meat manager pulled all the pork ribs off the shelves....
So my question how can pork ribs sealed from factory be spoiled? They were IBP products....
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good pork ribs don't smell bad PERIOD(just cleaned 12 racks of IBPs from SAMs for tomorrow). If they smell a little they are likely borderline OK and may be saved. Instead of rinsing, I get a refund.
I've had the same experience with Costco ribs several times & I'm sure it's a handling issue. Probably left on the loading dock too long? The big lesson I learned is: don't wait until the day of your big cook to find out. Just because you have meat in the fridge doesn't mean it's any good (and good luck exchanging/replacing on a holiday).
Remember "Food is cheap, Doctors are expensive"!
I'm with Joe. Pork ribs or butts should not have any odor.

The maximum "sell by" date is normally 14 days from slaughter and assumes Cry-O-Vac packaging. Storage temps are critical and this includes handling and transportation. It's also possible that a sell by date may be in error if the product wasn't rotated properly at the market.

"When in doubt, throw it out."
In 10+ years of ribs at Sam's, for example I've gotten ONE pack of bad ribs. They have a great return policy. 100% money back and new ribs.

When you open a pack you can get a slight smell but it's not an "off" smell.

When you get bad ribs you WILL know it, the smell is unmistakable. Bad is Bad.

The issue is that from the time they are cryovac'd, they have to stay refrigerated. If they sit on the loading dock, out of refrigeration, that's very bad and I've seen it happen.

Sometimes smaller places have more of an issue because their practices don't always mean that stuff gets handled correctly.
Well after doing all this returning to Shop N Save which is a huge firm out my way...I did go to Sams and purchased two packages ( 6 ) baby back ribs when got home opened and NO smell at all.....
I did inspect on the bad ribs sell dates and everything else which all was fine...whew the smell would stop a freight train....that bad.
By the way...shop n save is all over the country and a very large establishment.
Forced to agree with SmokeInManiac on this one. The Sulphur smell ia totally normal. Should dissipate after a short exposure to the air. Its a normal outgassing going on inside the cryo. It will be stronger the longer the ribs have been in there. A real "soured" brisket smells like rotten cheese and the smell does not go away..only gets stronger. Never got any soured ribs but suspect they would smell similar. My old butcher pal says croyed ribs will last at least two weeks past the expiry date wrote on the package.
Wow..wonder what kinda disease that poor critter had. I've two briskets which had the rotten cheese smell. One I caused myself by repeating freezing and thawing and carrying it around in an ice chest too much. The other came from the store thataway and was told it was caused by a pin hole in the cryo (along with a story that cryo is thinner than it used to be)..but not sure they was telling the truth about that. Never know when some goofy store employee might leave them sitting at room temp too long. Have had some ribs which had off smell buts nothing like the limburger cheese aroma of the briskets.
I agree on Sam's. Never had a bad bunch. Since I am usually only making 1 rack at a time unless there is company, I remove the membrane on all the racks and vacuum seal them. I have kept ribs like this for months and they taste NO different then when I make them right out of the cryovac. This way, I always have ribs in the freezer ready to go,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.