Skip to main content

Yesterday I tried a new rib tweak passed on by Coach.

Started with a rack of babybacks (2.75#) Patted down 1/2 cup of brown sugar on either side, wrapped them and held for 2 hrs ---no rub; just sugar. This is the new tweak.

Just before cooking I applied a sweet rub (Rib Tickler) to the underside, savory rub (Texas Barbecue Competition) to the top. Any sweet/savory rubs could be substituted.

Smoked 'em 2 hrs at 270 spritzing with apple juice every 20 min or so.

Made a foil pack of:
1/2 c light brown sugar moistened with apple juice via spritzer
5 tbsp soft margarine
2 Tbsp Tiger Sauce
3 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1/3 c BBQ sauce
wrapped tight and cooked meat side down for 1 hr.

Removed foil packs and release steam letting ribs tack up, meat side down for 15 minutes. Re-seasoned with a light dusting of Lawry's.

Finished them on at 270, meat side up for 20 minutes, basting with Que sauce.

Quite possibly the best ribs I've ever tasted.
Like many cooks,if running the cooker at home ,I'd be be doing at least a half to a doz slabs,so all these practice tricks get to be very time consuming.

We like the heaviest 3 paks of fresh IBPs that Sam's has.

Usually a couple sides,couple of appetizers,a salad and ,some TX toast.

Like all of ya'll we skin the slabs and trim the spares to St.Louis.

We like to season the slabs while the cooker is stabilizing.

We kinda like pecan,but am not sure how many folks notice.We pay attention to not to heavy rub,because there is not too much meat to bone ratio.

Also like,to do the loinbacks around 250* and spares around 275*.

When a toothpick passes easily between the bones,we pull them off and cut into about three ribs sections.

We like dry with CS mild on the side,but have no problem with brushing lightly with the same and reseasoning very lightly and allow to glaze about 10-15 mins.

Cold Shiner Bock,or Abita and some Jerry Jeff Walker,or Asleep at the Wheel often rounds it out.

This leaves me time to enjoy my friends and don't feel like I've been a slave to the cooker all night.

We enjoy the simple life. Cool
I knew whatever you did, there would definitely be a KISS approach to it. They turn out great that way. Rub, wood, and the Cookshack smoker.

That said, we're celebrating my son's birthday today so he requested ribs for dinner. I'm using the MaxQue/RibDog combination I did earlier as I mentioned above but with Rib Tickler Rub. Looking forward to the treat when it's ready. Baked regular/sweet potatoes, salad, heated 3 cheese bread from the bakery, grilled asparagus. Hmmmmmmmm.
Last edited by pags
Well, MaxQue after my 6TH!! batch of ribs using your recipe...... Well everyone that has tasted these have declared that they are the BEST Ribs ever, and the one person that matters (my wife) who gets excited (who was NOT a BBQ fan) that I am making the ribs I am SOLD on this recipe! THANKS again!!! The only change I made is to rub the ribs with honey before I put your suggested dry rub on.
Much obliged for your very kind compliments sir.

Did you use honey in addition to the initial rub of brown sugar...or as a substitute? I've got a St. Louis Spare smoke coming up this weekend and think I'll try YOUR tweak.

As I'll be using my AQ (iso FE100) for these spares perhaps you can guide me with time and temp guidelines. I'm guessing a total of 4-5 hrs at 250. I'll be shopping for full spares today. The St Louis cut down will probably weigh in around 3 lbs each.

And yes, the toothpicks will be waiting Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog:

Once they come out of the foil, I scrape off any pieces of peach on them. They then get a heated mixture of 4 parts sauce, 1 part honey, and just a few spinkles of cayenne to offset the honey and for flavor. If you can taste the heat, you used too much.

Once glazed, they go back on the smoker for 10-15 minutes to stiffen up the glaze.

Does that help?

If you're talking about the glaze he uses on his ribs, this is it. It's in his post further up this thread.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
Much obliged for your very kind compliments sir.

Did you use honey in addition to the initial rub of brown sugar...or as a substitute? I've got a St. Louis Spare smoke coming up this weekend and think I'll try YOUR tweak.

As I'll be using my AQ (iso FE100) for these spares perhaps you can guide me with time and temp guidelines. I'm guessing a total of 4-5 hrs at 250. I'll be shopping for full spares today. The St Louis cut down will probably weigh in around 3 lbs each.

And yes, the toothpicks will be waiting Smiler

No brown sugar, ONLY Honey before the rub. It aids in getting the Lawry's season salt and rub to stick. I drizzle enough on and rub it until it coats.

I use your recipe almost to the letter. 1/2 Butchers Honey Rub and 1/2 TxBBQ Grand Championship rub. 1 hr at 180* and then bump temp to 275* for 1:50 hrs. Pull apply the glaze at a ratio of 4 oz Brown sugar, 4 oz Parkay, 3oz Maple syrup, Tiger sauce to taste. I use a LOT more Tiger Sauce than you mention. After glaze, foil 45 minute at 275* meat side down, pull unwrap and apply BBQ sauce and return for 15 minutes to set sauce. As you can see its your recipe to a T, with a few tweaks for me.

I cook Loin backs that are around 2.75 to 3 # each in a rib rack that can hold 7 slabs. Usually i cook two 3 slab cryovac packs. Once I go to foil I use flat racks in the smoker.
Last edited by mike4258
I'm doing the ribs for Super Bowl Sunday and am going to throw the comp style ribs that I've mentioned above at the group. Since it's a real food fest, most people eat just a couple. So I figured it'd be like a comp judge eating a small sample, and the pizass would work well. Except for my pal Bill who by himself eats nearly a rack. And me of course. I ignore most of the stuff and focus on the ribs primarily and another bud's chicken wings and another bud's deviled eggs. And the Budweiser.

Normally, I've done them dry rub with a light glazing, sauce on the side. We'll see how these are received.
Last edited by pags
Oh, by the way. The ribs turned out great. I normally keep them warm in a Nesto Roaster Oven set to low. Over the course of the day (I get there a couple hours earlier than most to help out), the ribs tend to get drier. This time I tried a little water/beer (it's what's recomended), and the ribs tended to get a little mushy. But the recipe was well received.
I followed this recipe last night with a few adjustments. I couldn't find tiger sauce and used Texas Pete's. I couldnt find either rubs and used Grill Mates pork rub. The brown sugar and maple syrup, and butter method worked really well. My question is:

Do you mix the brown sugar, maple syrup and tiger sauce together and then apply? Or do you apply in layers? Do you apply to both sides? I applied to both sides and they turned out pretty good. These questions are for anyone who has tried this method...thanks.

Family said these were the best of my 4 attempts at ribs.
Well,the thread is "John Trigg's Ribs" ?,but with all the changes it has reverted back to Bill and Barb Milroy's/Texas Rib Rangers' technique from 25 yrs ago.

Some comp cooks ,cooking alone with the time and 3rd hand constraints,will mix them together-if they have worked out the measurements to give them flavor and consistancy.

Most cooks,given the time,add the products individually.

Some only glaze the tops-since they are being parboiled,anyway.Some flip them and do both.

Try some side by side and see which works best for you.
One of the first things taught to me by Smokin' was always do one one way, take GOOD notes and then do one another way, take GOOD notes and see for yourself how you like it. Everyone has a little different way/process of cooking and you need to learn what works out best for yourself and build on what your comfortable with.

No wrongs or rights when it comes to Qing.
Padre, Tiger sauce is not like Texas Pete's, It is thicker, hot, tangy and a little sweet. I order the Rubs, both are really good. I mix the brown sugar, maple syrup and butter or Parkay. I use a LOT more Tiger Sauce than called for, I add until I like the taste. I REALLY like the results of this recipe (as has EVERYONE who have tried them!).
I'll give a thumbs up for the Tiger Sauce too. I'm due to make ribs again & will do a variation of maple syrup, butter, brown sugar & tiger sauce (it's my favorite so far)...mix together & apply to the ribs & let it set for about an hour. After that I apply my spices (I've been using the cookshack ribrub & spicy chicken rub) and set it back in the fridge for another hour (unless I hear the stomach grumble then I pull 'em out) then I smoke. I've been using around 2.5 oz of cherry wood & an ounce of hickory at 225 for four hours. I've found when I have the smoker loaded with 3 racks, it will take longer. I pulled 'em out at 4 hours because everyone was ready to eat at that time. They didn't fall off the bone and probably could have used another hour.
Can't do them this weekend though, I have to do some pecans & almonds for a few co-workers & I have a lot of jerky & sausage to make from the venison I got over the winter.
Well, I used my FEC for the first time since I got it last Thursday. I did the tried and true Trigg/MaxQue/Pags/Ribdog Rib method and all I can say is WOW. Same recipe, that I modified to suit my style/tastes but turned out better in the FEC than the AQ. Pink all the way through, six slabs of loin back perfection.

I only have one complaint about the FEC100, the grills will not fit my dishwasher, I hadda wash em by hand...... Oh, well the price we pay for our addiction....... lol.
Last edited by mike4258
This is a recipe I hand to friends when asked how I make my ribs. It sounds pretty close to whats being talked about here.

BBQ Ribs
After trimming the ribs ( I trim them down to KC Cut and remove the membrane), I coat them with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and then apply the rub I used the

Home BBQ Rib Rub

Let them sit in the refrigerator in big baggies for at least 3-4 hrs. I do this the night before so I get about 12 hours of marinating.
My smoker (Stump's Baby) takes about 30-40 minutes to come up to cooking temperature (220 degrees). I start the coals and get the smoker heating up. At this point I take the ribs out of the baggies and put the crown side up and apply the rub again, just on the top side (crown). When the smoker reaches temperature, I put the ribs in the smoker, again crown side up, and put my wood chunks in the smoker. I use Sugar Maple, Peach or Cherry. I add wood again after about an hour. Keeping the 220 degrees is important. After about 2 hours in the smoker, I pull the ribs out. They should have a nice mahogany color to them.
I then use Heavy Duty Aluminum foil, and in the middle where I'll set the ribs, I put down Squeezable Parkay Margarine. (Butter has a lower burn temperature, so margarine is best). The amount I use is to run a bead of margarine the length of the slab of ribs, and then run another back to where I started. I then put down a thin layer of brown sugar, about 1/8-1/4 of an inch, the length and width of the slab of ribs. I then add honey in the same method as the margarine. Put the slab of ribs, crown side down on top of the mixture. Seal the foil and cook for another 45-60 minutes again, at 220. The purpose for foiling is to basically steam the ribs vs. continued heat which evaporates the moisture. All to not dry out the ribs.
Remove the ribs from the smoker and foil. Be careful when you take the ribs out and unfoil them. The juices in the foil wrap will be hot, sticky and if spilled makes quite a mess to clean up.
Place them back in the smoker, with crown side up. Cook until done. Done is usually determined by when you lift the slab, the "bark" will crack a bit, but the bones should NOT fall out of the meat. That would be over done, but some folks like it that way. This last cooking step is to firm up the glaze.
The reason for the brown sugar/margarine/honey is to "glaze" the ribs. The first 2 hours of cooking you're embedding the smoke and rub flavors into the meat. The glaze adds a bit of sweetness to the final product.
BTW, I use Splenda brown sugar since I'm diabetic and it doesn't seem to change the taste from using real brown sugar.
Start to finish on the cooking is usually about 4-5 hrs.
Finally had some r&r time this afternoon and was searching the "favorite recipe" archives. Found this post dating back to March 2001, posted by Texaskingfish. Read it through and see if it sounds vaguely familiar. Maybe Texaskingfish is the Clark Kent alias of J.T. Smiler

In a Sauce Pan: 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar 1 Large Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice 2 Fresh squeezed Lemons 3 2inch slices of lemon PEEL (yes Peel) 1 Texas heaping tablespoon of DARK BROWN SUGAR 1 tablespoon Lemon Pepper 1 tablespoon Black pepper (fresh Ground ) 1 teaspoon Taba**o Hot Sauce or more mmmmmm 1 teaspoon Garlic powder (DONT GRAB THE GARLIC SALT By MISTAKE) ************************************ SIMMER on low til sugar dissolves NOT BOIL ## Remove the membrane off of the Ribs !!! I have not seen anything posted in the past about it but It is a must for me (and most of the competition cookers around here)!!! Use a knife tip to get the membrane (clear skin on the surface of the rib bones) started Then i take a phillips screw driver and roll it around til the membrane is loose and pulled off. Rub ribs with dry rub Okies is fine .It is a cross of 2 of my rubs It will work great. roll ribs and place in a zip bag covered with Marinade remove air and refridge for 1 1/2 -2 hrs. Pour out marinade. re-rub with dry rub and put back in refridge for 10-12 hours. Then cook them up ..... More to the story here but not going to give out all the secrets. These will still be just awesome !!!!! Good bit of work (The day before the judging) but well worth it on game day. Part 2 -the cooking process start at 250 with meat side up for 1 hr meat side down 1/2 hr remove and place on a foil sheet cover with more dry rub & your favorite Honey BBQ sauce double wrap ribs in foil & back in for 4 hrs at 225 (3 1/2 sealed & 1/2 uncovered. meat should be pulled back 3/8 of an inch brusk another coat of bbq sauce and re-wrap let sit wrapped up for 30 minutes. then cut them with meat side down.

I had to combine two posts. Smokin had to arm wrestle part 2 from him.
MaxQue - used the wrap in foil with the brown sugar method you created. got the best ribs ever. thanks man - mentorjustin

quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
I'll have to give the honey coat a try next time.

I brown sugared 2 beautiful racks of St Lou's last night. They're getting happy now with a sprinkle of Trim Tabb's Pig Powder & Smokin Guns Hot...both great rubs btw.

T-90 till launch time Smiler
Hi all, I'm planning to try out the MaxQ and RibDog techniques on Sunday. I'm going to have to substitute rubs, as I don't yet have the ones called for. I was wondering if someone could share feedback on the Texas BBQ Championship Rub. Want to use a rub that is comparable to it but not sure about its flavor profile. Is there any sweetness to it, or is it all savory? Any feedback would be great.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.