Skip to main content

Well. After half dozen KISS methods for the loin back...ribs, rub, smoke. I decided it was time to bring out this recipe again since my son, daughter in law and new grandson (5 weeks) are coming over for dinner. Same recipe as below but with Rib Tickler instead of Dr. B's BBQ rub and Kinder's Mild in the glaze instead of the Memphis. Using what's available. Looking forward to a nice treat. If I remember I'll take a couple pictures.

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Well. We had the ribs tonight. Followed a combination of MaxQue's and Ribdog's recipes.

I lightly sprinkled with Lawry's Seasoned salt and rubbed with Dr. Barbecue's BBQ Rub. Into the smoker at 180* for an hour then kicked up to 275* for 2 hrs. Used the Johnny Trigg recipe as described by MaxQue(foiled them meat down with 4 oz margarine, 4 oz brown sugar, 2 oz maple syrup and a tbsp of Tiger Sauce combined and squirted fairly heavily on them. I did 3 racks and had enough of this stuff for a couple more racks). Put them into the smoker for another hour. After I foiled, I used RibDogs glaze (heated mixture of 4 parts Memphis barbecue sauce, 1 part honey, and just a few sprinkles of cayenne. If you can taste the heat, you used too much). I let them sit in the smoker unfoiled for another 15 minutes to set the glaze. Took them out and double heavy duty foil/beach towel for 20 minutes.

OMG. Best ribs yet. Four other people ate them. Got 2 "best ever". A "these are awesome". And a "did you take good notes" from the little woman.

Thanks MaxQue and RibDog for all the help. They were moist, smokey (I used a packet of cherry pellets and 2 chunks of hickory), flavorful, sweet with a slight spice followup. Glad I started the post cause my attempt would have missed the target. The Johnny Trigg technique and the glaze combined nicely.
Coincidently, I'm doing a test batch of SL Spares this afternoon in advance of the Royal cook-off next weekend.

Pouch > brown sugar, Tiger, AJ and Memphis...pretty much my goto pouch. I don't care for the Parkay & never understood the benefit.

The new change-up is the finishing glaze. Equal parts Head Country, honey & Blues Hog Smokey Mtn Sauce, which I scored during the sauce/rub exchange. Will report back with pics and after action summary.
Well. Wouldn't you know it. I didn't take pictures. Everyone was starving so I removed the ribs from the smoker, removed the foil, tented the ribs for 15 minutes, cut them up and served.

They were exceptional. I used a pouch of cherry pellets plus a chunk of wild cherry wood with the smoke flavor spot on. Slight sweet with a bit of kick, the ribs were flavorful. They did start to fall off the bone so I should have removed them a little earlier, but we were very pleased with them. After a few more KISS, we'll do this one again.

Damn...these smokers do a great job on loin backs.
Wow Max! Nine to you on appearance!!! And I bet the taste was there also.

Regarding box bling: I hear Florida BBQ Association doesn't use box bling, just meat in the box. Speaking as a CBJ, after carefully picking off box bling stuck to BBQ at KCBS comps I like the idea of just meat, no bling. It doesn't take long for the flavors of box bling to creep into the BBQ.
quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog:
Question on the "foiling" of the ribs:
Do you completely wrap the foil around ribs and crimp top together, or is the foil formed just like a pan - open at top with ribs & sauce sitting in it?

If I'm wrapping ribs, yes they are wrapped around and the foil is folded on the top, then the ends folded up(totally enclosing the ribs). This process is then done again with a second layer of foil. Personally, I try to make sure there is not a lot of dead space between the ribs and the foil. I think this can cause the ribs to be steamed/drained of the natural juices....that's just me though!

@MaxQ...nice job cutting the ribs!
@Pags When I foil, I do so at which point the ribs have good color...usually around the 2 hr mark. The darker color you're getting is consistant with an electric smoker.

@Nodrog I was taught to tightly foil the ribs when using pouch ingredients. Some cooks foil at the end...to tac a glaze, in which case foil over the top of the pan is applied.

@SmokinM I share your thoughts as to no bling/meat only. Until all sanctioning authorities get on the same page, I'm afraid the dreaded parsley will be glued to your samplings Frowner

Thanks for the comments guys...much appreciated. Now if only Coach can shore up his end with brisket and chicken Smiler <grins, ducks & runs>

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.